Running Windows on a Mac via BootCamp

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GreatJobChamp, Nov 7, 2019.

1. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

So I know how to get Windows on my mac thru bootcamp... what I am trying to do though, is also run MS Office within Windows (thru bootcamp).

When I search youtube and net for how to do it, all i get are results for installing mac-versions of Office... I dont want that though... I am trying to do the former.

I know how to install windows and run bootcamp... but how do i install and run office?

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to finding info on how?.

Thank you :wink: cheers!

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You will need the OSX version of MSOffice if you want to install it on the macOS partition. An alternative would be to use Office Online.
    You can use the regular version of MSOffice if you install on the Windows partition. Remember that you can access files on one partition from the other.
    All macs nowadays have Pages built in which can read .doc/.docx and while it isn't Microsoft Office, it works basically the same.

4. statik

statik Audiosexual

this post confuses me, you managed to install windows on bootcamp but you dont know how to install MS office??

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

First, run Windows, then install office into windows. Office is not stand alone, it have to be run into an OS.
    Side note: there is a very good free alternative to office, called Libre office, here: click
    You can open and create MS Office documents with it. Works on all OS.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  6. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

sorry, I have AIDS... I haven't done anything yet, I am just gathering info on how to do it. Though it may seem obvious that once Windows is installed and running through bootcamp, that it is just "business as usual" as far as using and installing other Windows programs, I have not seen or read that that is the case.

So according to Pinkman, I would just install MS Office like on a regular Windows machine... so I assume that means, I turn mac on and load Windows and then just run an Office installer file... just like a normal PC...

I apologize if my questions make me sound retarded.

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

We all had to learn how to do something at some point. Don't worry.

8. statik

statik Audiosexual

that is the whole point of bootcamp yes, a normal working fully functional windows on a seperate partition. the reason why you haven't read this anywhere could be because it is in the description of bootcamp itself and, as you said yourself, it being rather obvious (a non functioning windows installation would be rather pointless) but hey better safe then sorry, no worries

EDIT: small advice and need to know info: always use the bootcamp app in OSX to install windows, without the bootcamp app the windows installer could fail to read the partitions on your HD and/or fail to use the USB3 interface correctly resulting in a non functioning mouse and keyboard in the installer (i found out both things the hard way, it deleted the OSX partition one time and the other time i spend days trying to get USB3 support in the windows installer because i didnt start the install from the bootcamp app)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  9. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Don't forget to reverse your mouse/trackpad's scrolling direction if you want Natural Scrolling like you have on the mac side.

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Bootcamp is basically a "bridge" to boot into regular Windows environment without BIOS (which Macs don't have by design),
    any software you install further is same as if you install it on Windows

11. Lepow

Lepow Producer

I've got two physical disks, one in the cdrom slot, and it's possible to install by booting the wingdoze dvd directly, obviously there's a catch to install it you'll need the DVD drive, but after installed if it's one desire it can be once again put aside to give room to the other ssd....

Sorry for your aids