Running Logic in VMware Player on Windows

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Zenarcist, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

What are the downsides?

3. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

if it's the same as running windows apps on parallel desktops for mac, don't even think about it.

DAW needs RAM
    VSTi needs RAM
    OS need RAM
    emulation software needs RAM

= you're screwed

best option is dual boot hackintosh, or mac running windows but on bootcamp

VMWare, Parallel, etc .. are good for "low ressources consuming softwares", but in my opinion, not working well with music softwares.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. foster911

foster911 Guest

Don't worry much. He just wants to install then remove it to have it as an experimentation in his memoir.:winker:

5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

RAM is not an issue, if your host has plenty then you can give the VM plenty.

The biggest downside could be latency, but I'd say it's worth a try definitely!
    And make sure you connect your USB interfaces to the VM directly.

6. alex921

alex921 Producer

Unless you have a very good computer, like an i5/i7 20th generation with plenty of ram, you should be fine. If you don't, it's not worth it. Another possiblity would be running Hyper-V, they recently supported Linux. Since OSX is openbsod, it wouldn't suprise me if you could run it through Hyper-V with some kind of workaround. Though I have not researched this at all.

7. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

it would be interesting, so go for it I say and please keep us posted.
    with todays systems it may even become "usable" with reasonable low expectations.

but just as a fun experiment only though, because we all know the requirements for a daw to run "flawlessly" in its proper, legitimate environment. needless to say it will be a path filled with headaches along the road, not only to get it running and make sounds but in the long run. to make music you need simplicity not hassle

if you want to make MUSIC, this is hardly the way I would say.

i have a dual boot hackintosh stationary and it works perfectly, and my laptop is mac, there are things that are truly great in osx still. and I love the library in logic and its beautiful interface but there is nothing you can't do in any other daw

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  8. foster911

foster911 Guest

Logic and Final Cut are the only fortes of macOS for production. It's a weird environment. It's been designed for Consumption not Production.

Personally I'd never try to make noise in it. For producers working with the recorded materials, Pro-Tools first, then other counterparts like S1 (so light) are the best.

9. guitarie

guitarie Kapellmeister

Vmware use max 256mb video memory. The problem is direct x drivers of your videocard wont work.. your screen will stutter or stand still when you push play button in logic :(

i installed it on laptop with 32gb ram.. 8gb videocard..and run at cpu 3,8 ghz
    all worked good except graphics

10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I did this once just to experiment.

I installed VMware on my x64 Win10 pc which has 32 gb of Ram. After that I installed OSX on a vm and dedicated 24 gb of Ram. Finally I installed Logic Pro X on the top of it.

As far as I remember, I didn't experienced any glitches but I got bored of it fast so I got back to Studio One on Windows.

Bottom line: Don't even think trying this if your machine has less than 16 gb of physical Ram.

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

As I said.:rofl:

12. foster911

foster911 Guest

An example of magnates and prosperous producers.:bleh:

13. Deep_AM

Deep_AM Noisemaker

I've run this atm as a test bed for updates/new plugins.

I mainly run into two issues;
    First is the input latency, on afresh boot this is not bad but after about 5 min this goes stupid into the several (1-2+) seconds range.
    Second issue is sound clipping, does not matter what level the audio is in the mix the speaker output will always have a clipping sound to it.

Suitable as a test bed to install test plugins/libraries/versions ect, but not prod work.

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

It's an artificial imitation of Pro-Tools. Groove3, Askvideos and Lynda have gratuitously and unwarrantedly made its name swells up just because Apple asked them. Its native tools are risible. :yes:

15. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

you really just let your mouth run.
    whatever crap that happens to come out first qualifies..

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Exactly, it's not for a main DAW, I just want to have a play around :)

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I was particularly wondering about the latency. Thanks :wink:

18. foster911

foster911 Guest

A mortal wound but I'll grin and bear it.

W.jpg

19. mickey

mickey Ultrasonic

Guys are you trying to say with this technology, you can Run apple softwares inside windows ?

20. Deep_AM

Deep_AM Noisemaker

This was mainly running NI plugins (Komplete/kontakt, battery, ect.) If i reboot the VM it goes back to ok, for a little while. Ram wise i've tried from 8-32 and the vmdk sits on SSD.

21. Deep_AM

Deep_AM Noisemaker

shhhh, don't tell Apple it's a big secret. If this got out all the Apple fanboys cries would deafen the world.

We had to create something as we got board after inventing time travel.