RPGMAKER and GAMEMAKER videogame soundtracks creation

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by fritoz, Jan 14, 2014.

1. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

Wasup!

So i have taken the plunge and have started teaching myself how to make video games. I got both the RPGMAKER VX and the newest GAMEMAKER, as well as a few crazy programs like DAZ and Poser and CrazyTalk animator and Blender to make graphics-

One thing i noticed about these games that people make, are that they are either:

1. A scripter with no art or music skills

2. An artist with no musical or scripting skills

3 A musician with no artistic or scripting skills

4 A person with NO skills at all (lol)

So those of us with certain talents can do well to market ourselves as such. Those game-making communities need quality musicains for a unique touch to their games. Games with unique art direction and/or music generally do FAR better sales and hype wise than a cookie cutter boring looking/sounding game.

I know RPGMAKER uses only OGG format, but i think GAMEMAKER can use any audio

Ive been creating loopable background tracks for videogames for a few weeks now, in both normal and 8bit styles and this is what ive learned:

RPG Battle music:

*try to keep them short, about only 1-2 minutes long

*make them 100% loopable so the player wont notice when the track starts or ends

*try not to make too many crazy high pitched noises within the track, as there will also be battle sound FX that need to rise over the background battle music

*usually try to keep a high energy going!

*Boss battles need to be extra drama filled tracks

Overworld travelling music:

*A wistful and nostalgic track around the hero's home is a good start

*A more adventurous theme for pure overland travels, make it so that is long enough to not repeat itself easily as you will spend lots of time travelling

*Ethnic localities and regional differences should carry over into soundtrack, if the player is in a deserty region or a tropical island, teh music should reflect the difference (aka dont use the same music for every location!)

Village Music and Sound FX

*see above point about changing localities and appropriate track reference

*background voices chatter, animal sounds like dogs barking add alot to ambiance of walking through a populated village

Dungeon/Cave Music

* Spooky it up! obviously a cave is dark and dank, so some dripping noises, wind blowing spookily, and distant gutteral growls serve up a nice sound pallate

* Keep dungeon music more low key and sparse

I will add more tips as i get time!