Routing Problem with Hexachords Orb Producer Suite3 [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Software' started by Olymoon, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Hi Guys

I'm trying Hexachord Orb Producer Suite 3 for testing purposes, but cannot have the "secondary" plugins to work.
    Orb Melody, Orb Bass and Orb Arpeggio always give the same message:
    "You need to have at least one instance of Orb Chords"

Obviously, I load Orb Chords first.
    I've also tried different MIDI routing from one to the other in both sense ...

I tried with Reaper and Cakewalk, same problem...
    I've searched YT and Hexachords for manual or explanation, nothing.

Any one with experience, please tell me how to do this.

3. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

I have tried with FLARE version, v2.0.3 in Studio One and Reaper. No problem here.
    I only add Orb Chords to a track, then others on the same one or new tracks.
    You got sound when you load Orb Chords, right? Is it working normally?

4. I remember when there was a release of an earlier version of Hexachord on sister site. People were getting the same message about needing an instance of Orb chords, and no answer as to where you find it. Sounded like some additional software you need to get from Hexachord. I tried it, got the same thing, never figured it out, gave up on it. I'm crappy with reading manuals nowadays, so maybe there's something in there that explains it. Wish I had an answer for you, best I can tell you is that I had the exact same experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you for your answer.
    Yes I have sound with orb chords. I was able to edit the synth and chords.

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you for your answer.
    Crazy thing: there is no manual at developer's page...

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You probably did but just in case, shot in the dark... did you you install the BomeMIDIUtil.exe (or some shit like that) that comes with Hexachords?
    It's what it uses to interchange MIDI data. It's a like a "virtual-midi-ports-on crack and steroids" tool/driver but internal, invisible to the user.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

No freakin' way :woot:

9. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

Best Answer
    all following observations in reason 11, win 7.

the chord plugin loaded alone waits for incoming connections:

chord & bass plugins both loaded, there connected

as a test, the arp plugin w/o a loaded chord plugin tries to connect, w/o somebody listening for it. a "SYN" is part of a tcp connection build up, but in this case no reply -> fails

imho youve firewalled your daw a little too tight, incoming tcp connections for 10555 (originating from your host!) should be allowed.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Nice info.
    Also, my previous post is outdated. The version I tried wasn't even remotely close to this complexity.

Every time I see a plugin or any kind of software using network protocols only to communicate inside the same computer makes me lose faith in programming.
    They might as well install a freakin Apache server while they're at it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

I don't know about version three, but in version two you load Orb Chords onto one midi track, and then load the secondary plugins on separate midi tracks, from there they should all be linked across each instance for progressions/chords/etc. I know the Sync To DAW settings gave me some headache at first before I realized when it's not active you have to hit play inside the instruments. Idk if this helps, I hope you manage to get this figured out! The old v2 from the sister site pretty much immediately became one of my most used plugins, it's absolute magic for breaking out of writers block

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  12. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you very much for your answer.
    That's probably the problem. For obvious reasons, my DAW is 100% locked by my firewall.
    What a stupid way to program things, while all DAWs allow internal midi and audio routing...
    I'll test and get back.

EDIT, yes, that was the problem. Once I disabled my firewall, all worked correctly.
    But that makes this software unusable for me...

EDIT 2: It is possible to let your DAW connect for 2 seconds and lock it back, it will work from there. Soi it's yet worst on programing point of view, ORB melody and so, just check that ORB Chord is there once, then they continue working even when disconnected ...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. It's been awhile since I tried Orb Producer.. is there a standalone with the installation? If there is maybe you can download whatever it is they're up to on this, then re-block it in your firewall and see if it will continue to work like that. No way I'd try running it in my DAW with the web opened up though. That's got to stay locked down.

Excellent info @thomas78, much appreciated~

14. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Well, you don't have, actually you should create a rule for this sw like "loopback" or "lan" where you allow 127.0.0.1 or 129.168.x.x and block all the rest (wan blocked, no homecalling).
    I had to do this for Kontakt because if not it crashes.
    I had to do also a little more complex rule for a graphics network renderer.
    I'll test this sw and tell if it works.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes that's exactly what i tried to do, but I failed. lol.
    I didn't had time to try hard.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  17. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Despite the (uncommented) disagree mark, it works:
    orb test
    Still connected to wan, but not for daw.
    I don't have a clue how it works the plugin, I loaded it (chord, melody, arp) and bang!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes, I understand the concept and have no doubt that it works, but have no time to do it.
    As I use a 3rd party firewall, it's on click for me to, disable firewall, ORB connects, and re-able firewall, as once it connected, it works even with firewall on.

19. My firewall has a "lan only" setting for individual files. Pretty much what I keep all music stuff on including my DAW (S1). Installed Hexachords using the lan only setting for the executable. Opened it up in S1, also lan only, and all the features of the Orbs are working just fine! No problem at all as far as I can tell so far. What's puzzling me is why, with the same firewall settings, I couldn't get the last version of Hexachords working awhile back. That one couldn't find Chords no matter what and wouldn't work at all without it. Anyhow, big thumbs up for MOCHA, this one is looking good, hopefully it stays that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I use a 3rd party firewall that warns me on out/in connections, but here I created a customized simple rule that works for daws or any exe and basically does this:
    - the allowed network 192.168.x.x (my lan) only can talk to loopback 127.0.0.1;
    - anything else is denied.

Optionally you could add broadcast (255.255.255.0) but it's rarely used.

21. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Well, I may be wrong, but I think it's not a proper way, you leak connections on the network.