Routing bugs or am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Pastel, Sep 1, 2023.

1. Pastel

Pastel Newbie

Hello all!

Weirdness:
    I have a track on top, set up to send MIDI to a VePro track waaay down in the track list and receives back audio on the corresponding channels from that VePro track.

Does not work, does not send the midi.
    If I duplicate this track and arm the copy, then it does send and is active on both tracks.
    If I put the copy above the original track, does not send.
    If I arm the original track only, does not send.
    If I mute either one of the tracks, then it does not send.

All the other tracks that are using the same VePro instance (11 instruments loaded)
    are working properly.

Help! :)

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Is this with a Midi file you downloaded? I have had this happen in Logic, once a year or something. You import it to your first Midi track and it does not work at all. But if you duplicate the track, and then go to piano roll editor and copy/paste the note data from first track, into the new track's piano roll editor and it will play. So you expect there to be some CC automation data or some reason for it to not work in the first channel. But then you check everything possible, and there is actually no reason for it not to play in the first one?

By copying and pasting the note only data from the editor; you are not pasting the offending CC data into the new track. But that data is nowhere to be found.... it's extremely confusing when it happens.

4. Pastel

Pastel Newbie

No, it is a fresh track, does not have any automation, not even midi data punched in.
    I arm it, play the keyboard to check and no..does not send the MIDI to VePro (literally I don't even see the VePro bus react to whatever I play...same bus works with other tracks).

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

are you adding VEPro plugin as an instrument track, or just throwing VEPro plugin on a casual track?
    you have to ARM tracks and enable Monitoring,
    what MIDI channels are you receiving from your MIDI keyboard and sending to VEPro instances?
    if you are playing without actual playback on Reaper's timeline, you should adjust Reaper preferences:
    UNTICK "Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive"
    UNTICK "Close audio device when stopped and active"
    UNTICK "Set media items offline when application is not active"
    UNTICK "Anticipative FX processing..." - also you gotta try various settings there, because Reaper may incorrectly calculate roundtrip latency between Reaper and VEPro

6. Pastel

Pastel Newbie

Just created with Insert new track, then added VePro plugin.

Yes, ARm and MOnitoring on.
    All midi channels.

As I wrote, it send to the VePro track and hear sound if I duplicate the track.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Did you try setting your Midi Controller, your channel, and your instrument plugin all to Omni? Those which you can, anyway. Also, it can be helpful to replace the plugin with another instrument plugin. Use the most simple one you have. You want to simplify your midi signal chain so you can figure out where the problem is located.

Keep in mind how your DAW handles the "duplicate" channel's midi channel number assignment when you are creating a new one. Is it changing the channel # to the next sequential number, even though it is a duplicate?

8. Pastel

Pastel Newbie

The duplicate is the exact same as the original.
    So again:
    The track does not send the midi to the VePro instance. But when I duplicate it and then play the keyboard, the VePro instance goes live and sound is produced.
    If I delete the original track but keep the copy and play again, VePro instance goes dead, shows no signal coming in.

If I change the kontakt instrument channel from 11 to 15 for example, change the duplicate track send to 1/15 but leave the original as it was 1/11, the same happens.
    If I delete the original that sends to 1/11 and keep the duplicate that send 1/15, no midi goes, no sound.