Routing audio to headphone amp through Scarlett 2i4

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by andeby, Jul 24, 2017.

1. andeby

andeby Member

I just set up a new Scarlett 2i4 and after some trouble with cables and not realizing that the direct monitor mode was on by default I finally got it all working.

I often am reduced to using headphones even when producing and from before my production days I got a Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp. I tried routing this amp via the 2i4's 3-4 output with RCA, but I get no audio. From what I could find on google, this is a limitation in Windows? Anyways, I decided to try an RCA->jack cable to hook the Asgard 2 into the 2i4's headphone port and with the headphone volume max I now get audio! I'm wondering though, is this a good way to route it? Am I not routing the signal from one headphone amplifier into another headphone amplifier? It seems strange to me, should I be routing this another way?

3. andeby

andeby Member

I think I figured this out. I now hooked the external headphone amp up to the RCA 1-2 output on the 2i4 and as long as I turn my monitor off and max the monitor volume I get sound to my headphones. In my mind this makes sense, no double amping or weirdness.

Still happy for any input though, I don't know all too much about audio routing and I am only hoping I am not doing something completely wrong. :p