Rotary plugin (need opinions)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by audiomarc20, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Blickbard

Blickbard Ultrasonic

I only bought the waterfall Organ , not the Leslie plugin Does that have more adjustments ? I must say it does not need much knob fiddling for my taste .I tried quite some hardware . And the IK version which is great as well and has tons of adjustments ( I needed some) I never used waterfall live but I am very tempted to do so . I do not like the ilok either and the fact waterfall cannot be authorised to the harddisk

Last edited: Sep 28, 2024
  2. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I like MVintageRotary. MVibratoMB (in edit mode) is also worth a look for a less cabinet-ful Leslie option.

3. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

IMO, the UA Rotary is detailed, realistic and spacious but the sound is shifted toward the mid and upper frequencies and feels "airy". I miss the low end weight of whatever goes into it. Also it has mic options and cab options but feels slightly limited in the controls. Probably best used as a parallel or send effect to retain the full heft of the original tone. Has the most "headroom" of the options.

The IK is more full freq but compared to UA but a little more "cartoonish" version of a rotary. It has some great parameters that the others do not. But overall has an exaggerated character. It has room controls but it gets harsh and thin quickly. It does have a nice stereo mixer section that is very powerful.

The Eventide version suffers from even more of this effect. It seems like an Alien's version of a Leslie. Like a simulation of a rotary in a vacuum onboard a spaceship. Which could be perfect for certain situations. The presets take a rotary effect into new sci-fi territory rather than traditional. Has tempo sync functions!

The GG Audio Spin is very nice too, more towards the realistic style. It has a driven grinding character, it feels like it is always on the edge of breakup. It probably sounds the best if you want that overdriven sound. It has a wide selection of mics and cabs and has some very useful parameters. Has less "headroom" than UA but great diode sounds and powerful control of space around the cab. Pre/Post reverb routing! Great useful preset collection too.

The Arturia is solid and useful/useable. Like all of Arturia FX to me it suffers from a flatness and lack of excitement. No one is going to mistake it for the real analog thing. But it has a refined and practical character and depending what is going on in your track may be the perfect goldilocks (not too much not too little) amount of Rotary. It has the least amount of controls so it is what it is. If you pair it with the right preamp/eq you can get some great tones out of it.

4. Coconut_Head

Coconut_Head Newbie

Thank you, all of you. While I can get the UA one on Plugin Boutique right now + 3-4 more UA plugins for $59, I think I'm still going to go with the IK one despite it being $99 - I'll just wait for a sale. I see TrackS 5 MAX was just on sale for $50 (crazy). Wish I hadn't missed that one