Room not acoustically treated

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by samsome, Aug 29, 2019.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

So I was thinking to get speakers instead of monitors as room is not acoustically treated

Preferably small speakers
    What's up opinion
    Which ones you recommend

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

If you get "speakers" (hi-fi or whatever) you will have even more problem with colored and uneven sound/frequency responce in an untreated room.

Tip: Treat your room and get studio monitors. Even DIY goes a very long way (I'm speaking from experience, after studying and reading books on the subject and being handy).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@Baxter, any specific recommendations for small rooms? Most bang for your buck type things.
    Are you better off to focus on bass traps or diffusers first?

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Small rooms can be tricky due to the short wavelength standing waves (and not hearing the longer wavelengths). Modes (peaks and nulls) can also be troublesome.
    But I would measure the room as it is and then tune the room as good as possible with rockwool absorbers, diffusers and basstraps. It all depends on what the major problem is with the room and then focus to fix that.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

A little tip based on what I did...

I wanted to DIY my room treatment because from what I read the standard acoustic foam typically has a less even absorption than the typical rockwool/fiberglass solutions. So I went bargain hunting for Owens Corning and the like. A friend of mine who's a handiman suggested i go to an HVAC place and ask if they have any surplus OC705 from a finished project, and what do you know... I got it way cheaper than anyone was offering in stores or online. I believe I paid $95 for a pack of 16 1.5" (edit - 2" not 1.5) panels. Bought a bolt of fabric and some spray adhesive. Made some corner traps out of acoustical cotton. Whole project cost me about $300 and 10 hours.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. digitaldragon

I believe it to be the lows (under 200Hz). I tone swept the room with a ECM800 and the low end was all over the place. May I PM you so I'm not hijacking the OP?
    This here is an awesome idea!! Thanks for sharing!

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

My pleasure. I try to bring this up whenever i see someone trying to get into acoustic treatment because it literally saved me hundreds of dollars. OC705 on amazon is $125 for a 6 pack

If you buy the ones that have been specifically tailored to acoustic purposes (usually just wrapped in fabric and framed) it's even crazier, like $100-150 for 2 sometimes

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Like @Baxter, I would opt for monitor speakers.
    maybe add a couch, a nice big plant and make it a habit to dry your laundry in your "room", to start with.
    Or as I do, leave it unfolded on the couch.:rofl:

what's important to add is, what dimensions your room has?

10. digitaldragon

@Cav Emp, just got off the phone with my AC Guy. He's got an open bundle of Rockwool with 16X36" Panels left over! I think he's just going to let me have a few!

11. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

if you have a small room, take care of the bass response first. forget about thin acoustic elements of rockwool in fabric-covered wood frames. they do not bring more absorption power than suspended duvets. what you need are heavy membrane absorbers made of fiber board, plywood membrane, sealed air chambers and a suitable insulation material. sonorock is suitable, cellofoam is suitable. as well as cotton or sheep's wool.

Something like that:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  12. tun

tun Rock Star

If you can afford monitors then buy them anyway. Using coloured speakers will just cause more problems on top.
    If you can afford it then treat your room too.

Do the best you can with the money you have. and always reference in different environments on different gear.

13. jksixfour914

jksixfour914 Kapellmeister

Acoustic treatment is #1 but I will still recommend Sonarworks. Right now my setup is in a large living room and for me the room measurement with Sonarworks helps me out big time.