Room Correction

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Heisenberg, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Heisenberg

Who uses Room Correction?

Well i do. It gives you the power to adjust any frequency you want and more :)
    The more expensive version is from Tact Audio
    But you can also experiment with software like duffroomcorrection
    Or you can try this Plugin from IK Multimedia Arc
    I use it all the time, for watching movies, gaming, producing, mixing and mastering
    Maby you should give it a try ;)

3. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

thanks for sharing...

anyone usis this kind of technique?
    is it really effective??

4. Dazeon

Dazeon Ultrasonic

Does this work on cheap microphones that always record sound with bad annoying harmonics?

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

"Correction"/EQ is crap. Invest in proper room treatment instead. Buy a book on the subject or dive into the lovely world of DIY:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Handbook-Acoustics-Alton-Everest/dp/0071603328/ref=dp_ob_title_bk The bible

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/

The only reason to buy a dedicated reference condenser mic is to use it in order to analyze (and then alter/change) the room acoustics with basstraps, diffusers and absorbers - not to "EQ" what's coming out of your speakers. Standing waves are standing waves. Nodes are nodes.

edit: I'm talking about (in) the dedicated studio control room.

6. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

I disagree, i use i.k multimedia arc system a fair bit actually.
    Yes standing waves are standing waves, but near field monitoring is exactly that, trying to get the sound from speaker to ear as directly as possible.
    At any rate, i find the arc system damn useful when i am stuck with having to mix or record in a room or place that i can't change.
    I can be in the space for a night up to a week or two, and having a nice 0 point to begin with lets me keep using the same mixes roughly.

It can be used as a quick and dirty room ring out too.
    Correction isn't crap, it for the most part works, every touring soundie can tell you that,EVERYONE uses it, even if its at primitive as ringing out a room with a mic and your own voice.

I would tend to agree however, that if you are going to be in the same room for more than a few weeks at a time, that you do go for proper room treatment.
    that much does make sense.

7. obscure

obscure Newbie

I think I might go for the arc system soon, even though I'm a stationary guy.

I just can't be bothered with the price of proper room treatment, and taking the time to build my own traps and stuff, or even learning what I need.

I'm used to my room already, so I have no idea what this will do to my mixes.

Will they improve? Will I simply get there faster? Or will the time taken be the same, because I'm already used to my room and I reference-check my mixes?

I'm a producer, not a mixer. Nothing gets recorded from my room either. What do you guys think? :dunno:

It seems more helpful to traveling engies like psyfactory

Edit: I'm moving soon. I checked my new room out. It sucks. I'm getting ARC. Hope shipping to Aus isn't too much.

8. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

9. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

10. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

check out this review if you haven't read it already, the guy uses it in a stationary setup like you will.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar08/articles/ikmultimediaarc.htm

sound on sound reviews are usually spot on.

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Each to their own I guess.

Funny that you would say that. I've been working for about 10 years as a studio-, and live sound engineer, and the number of times where "software correction" was used on live gigs has been very shortcoming. A dedicated and calibrated SLM with built-in spectrum display (A-weighted) is enough for most places (depending on the venue, where you stand, venue capacity, etc) so that you can correct things yourself.

But maybe a graphic SLM (sound level meter) what was you were referring to? In that case you were partly right.

edit: ^ I maybe come off as a prick. What I mean is - if it helps you, then buy/use it. OP, it's your money and your decision.
    I'm just saying that it's usually better to treat the room than to color the sound coming out of the speakers (to "fit" the "faulty" room). Find the sweetspot and invest in a few basstraps, absorbers and diffusers instead (to fix the real problem). Jmho.
    Happy tweaking, everyone.

12. obscure

obscure Newbie

You know - IK Multimedia is having a sale on ARC right now all the way through February.

It's only $199...I doubt any room treatment can come so effective at that price.

13. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

yeah it is what i meant, at least for the FOH baxter.

I am usually stuffed in a side room with feeds in to record it all at venues varying from "tin shed with a kombivan parked next to it" all the way up to "might have been a pub only ,once..., but they have somehow got a stage in here"

So every little bit helps.

Nah you don't sound like a prick, lol, differing opinions are great , especially when both sides explain why they have them instead of just the usual "you are wrong!" type of back and forth the internet is prone to, both of us have a reason to like and dislike on this subject that were relevant to the op.

Cheers

14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Heisenberg

You can not use a cheap microphone.

I'll give an example :

The Behringer DEQ2496 also uses good DRC (modded) for cheap.

The Ultra-Premium Modification

The microphone : MEASUREMENT CONDENSER MICROPHONE ECM8000 Ultra-Linear Measurement Condenser Microphone.

Just point the microphone to the ceiling at your sweetspot (where you are sitting) between the hi and low of your monitors (earhight) and run the room correction.
    A white noise will be heard, and you can adjust the volume of the white noise (just like filling the room with water you do it with noise).
    I recommend u to use some earsafty :)

After the measurement you can finetune the frequency's with the noise on.

And i must say, that it is a really good frequencyresponce (200 to 21khz) everything below you can do manually.

Hope that helps ;)

15. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Heisenberg

It really makes a diffrence.

16. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Heisenberg

see my previous post ;)

17. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Heisenberg

18. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Wow !