Roland System 8, change colour of LEDs (can it be done?)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ( . ) ( . ), Oct 25, 2019.

1. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

I've been looking at Roland System 8 recently and I really like the look and design as well as the colour of the lights. But looking at this synth more and more it's made me wonder if there was a way to change the colours of those lights to whatever you want...

I wonder if it could be done by end users somehow...

I don't know anything about the technicalities of hardware, but if there is anyone that knows alot about these types of things, how would it be approached, is it possible? what can be done?

Honestly, it's not a massive deal, but it is an interesting thought, and I think it would be cool if someone can actually do this...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  3. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Okay I realise after doing some of my own research that it is achievable, but not practical and every unit has to be custom built rather than hacked into for everyone to be able to use with some type of software...

would delete the thread but can't...

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

yeah, I have one and I really like it. ... has some things that annoy me (should have a larger onboard storage for presets, the arp is finicky external midi, and yes, it would be cool if ALL the led's could change like the sequencer etc... I am used to the Aira stuff, and the green blink's... but sometimes what a different color scheme!

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It truly is weird that all the LEDs in it are green. They would make it more interesting and easier to work with if they used different LED colours for separate sections and the sequencer. However, looking at the hi-res pic of it, it seems it's got a LED per control and that's a lot of LEDs to change, mate. Not saying it isn't doable, and LED's are fairly easy to change - just two soldering pins, but it would take quite a while to change all of them, even 80% of them.

I'd do it like... approx. 20% red, 20% blue, 20% yellow, 20% green, and 20% white LEDs. I too think it would look cool. :wink:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  6. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

yeah, i agree, and I have had mine for two years. I wish it did as it would be great with the different ACB modeled synths to have more "Jupiter" type colors etc... and that IS a lot of LEDS to change, and I don't have the inclination myself,,, the sequencer section changes depending on what you are doing from green/red/yellow etc... I don't think that would be easy to install to "change" and whatnot per model (duh, would require hacking the firmware I imagine etc... no thanks! :) )...

but it is a great synth for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

What are your personal thoughts about the System-8,please?
    I've read different people telling that this synth sounds nothing special,that it sounds cold like any plugin.

8. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I don't have time for a perfect long response now, but the short of it is, yeah, hell there IS a plugin of it on the Roland Cloud, but the System 8 is special to me in that outside of perhaps the Behringer matrix thing-a-ma-job, there is not synth out there with more knobs and playability with faders etc. You might be able to get the sound with a plug in, but it's not so much about the sound as "playing" the synth... it just begs you to twist knobs etc, and is inspiring.. sure... you could get there with a soft synth (Again, they DO offer it in that form), but no.. you aren't gonna do the same things or make the same sounds.. it's a great playable sound designing expressive instrument.

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Roland made a huge mistake by not making real analogue synths. All of the new hardware Rolands leave me cold. Most of my shit is going from real hardware into a real mixer and then into a DAW. You can tell the difference easily. If you can't, you have a problem and should visit an ear doctor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I get what you are saying, but technically they did (i still get your point though)...

the SE-02 is damn great... and so is the System 500m, I have both, and are amazing.

11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@( . ) ( . ) You already know that it is possible but also a real PITA. If you don't have any previous experience soldering SMD LED's my advice is to either leave it alone or first learn by practicing with some of the cheap SMDs they sell on Amazone or eBay. Mark Muller's video will guide you on taking apart System 8.
    . The EEV Blog, has a tutorial series just on soldering.
    The size of Roland's SMDs is 0603. You can get them from http://www.kingbrightusa.com/category.asp?catalog_name=LED&category_name=KCSMD+LED.
    Several people have modded the TR-8 and System 1. Same approach as System 8.

4PkeIVz.jpg 5De2Lhq.jpg 13482848_845916095538858_6799940650967869757_o.jpg