Roland KD-7 question for midi aficionados and midi drummers

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Herr Durr, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

This is a compact kick drum trigger that could be useful and portable...
    however it seems to be geared ( no pun intended ) to be used with a drum brain..

but I want to just send the midi signals to software such as AD or EZD2
    without buying a drum brain to forward the midi data to the software..

Is there some 1/4" -> midi -> USB adapter out there that would work for this application?
    I have scoured around some, and came up empty handed

any ideas?

kd7.jpg

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Best Answer
    That won't work with an adapter or cable.
    A trigger pad creates an analog CV. You will either need a drum module to transform the CV to a midi note, or a CV to midi converter, if that works. :dunno:
    You could use the cheapest drum module you can get, as long as it has a midi out or maybe try something like Doepfer A-192-1 CV-to-Midi interface.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

ok I thought there might not be any way around getting a brain...
    I'll check if there is such a CV to midi converter ... but it sounds pretty obscure, Doepfer?
    I'll be heading to a search engine on that one...

thanks @No Avenger

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  5. No Avenger

Those interfaces were originally used to record midi notes with analog synths that hadn't a midi out. But this was surely before your time, my young friend. :winker:

Doepfer is a German company which produces all kinds of midi gear.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. No Avenger

Yeah, the brain thing, that's annoying. [​IMG]

7. willowjp

willowjp Noisemaker

Hello,
    but if you can catch a PM16 Roland ( a very old converter ) you'll be able to do great things and expand your set easily.
    I understand that it's not so portable but it will be very very cheap and from the pro gear era….mine is like new after a lot of live shows, just to say.
    I hope you'll find the graal……
    Have a nice day and Happy new year !

Willona

8. No Avenger

any solutions so far?

9. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@No Avenger

I think you pretty much nailed it... then I started looking at drum brains.. and found how much you have to pay
    to get one that does round robin, so.. back to the acoustic kit, and padkontrol... just not good enough with drumming
    to only use 2 hands... trying to find a way to separate the kick from the pad tapping...

been pondering this off and on for a year or so, until I saw the KD-7 , but still have the issues with getting velocity layers etc.
    transmitted, and the out on pad controllers is only on/off .. no dice...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2018
  10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I may be off topic mate, but an easy solution for gettting a live drum & percussion feel :

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  11. No Avenger

Not sure if I got you right, but the RR thing is a matter of implemented software in drum modules, or vsti software. And from Addictive 1 up to SD3 or BFD3 it's not a problem anymore. AD1 has 3 RR for every dynamic zone and some kits for SD3 (could be 3rd party) have up to more than 26 RR per dynamic zone. So, there's a big price range.
    The bigger (hardware) problem is the transmition of dynamics, the different hh positions (fully closed to fully open), or different stroke position on sn and cyms/hh.

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

you got me alright.. I'm just displaying a substantial amount of unstudied ignorance about the software,
    thanks for clearing that up for me...

for example in AD, do you have to specify that it rotates samples, or is it "on" by default..? and SD3 and BFD3
    operate pretty much the same?

I'm thinking the control pad by itself except the snare/kick elements would be sufficient. I practice on an acoustic kit,
    ( which is not to say I'm much of a drummer ) so seems it would be easier to just have the kick on the floor.. and do the snare etc.
    on the pads... and could midi program the cymbals in later if I can't really get them right on a take...

probably sounds convoluted, and you might say, just knock it out on the acoustic kit.., but I have to face the fact
    of being a lousy drummer..and would just as soon track with editable midi anyway..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
  13. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

I believe this will do what you want. I have the Alesis Trigger IO, which is exactly the same as this DDRUM. I've been running a 12 pad mixed brand kit through it with SD3 & it works like a champ. The way the buttons are set up is a little awkward, but it does the job.

http://www.ddrum.com/query?upc=819998175757

14. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

Just found an old vid of my drummer noodling around on this mutt, lol. We've added another cymbal in that giant hole above the toms since then. I think this SD2 layered with some fart noises & somethin else...

15. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Just wanted to second the Alesia Trigger IO. Great piece of gear. Not really a drum brain, no built in sounds. Just a trigger box to send midi to pc or another drum brain. Also accepts 2-zone pads. I used it to expand my dm5. Works great!

16. MikeSan

MikeSan Noisemaker

Roland TM-2

17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

not bad.. $150 used to $200 new...

checked this out before.. It's a win for you, but seem to recall some drawbacks on it...
    such as...

is your satisfaction with this unit unqualified... ?

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/products/27607-alesis-trigger-io-experiences

probably nice kit... but a bit cost prohibitive... $700 new

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2018
  18. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

Of course I can't guarantee it would work well with every pad out there, but it's done fine with quite a few. We even used it on the kick & toms on a triggered acoustic kit. It takes some patience to tweak the settings, but I imagine that would probably be the case with most brains/interfaces. There are a lot of variables in triggers & pads, so I guess it would be best to try before you buy if possible.

19. No Avenger

Nope, it's on by default and I assume it's the same with SD3 and BFD3.

There are several options as a trigger. Different sorts of drum pads (smaller rectangular up to the bigger drum kit imitating round ones) to play with sticks, pads to play with fingers and normal keys (you know, the black and white ones).
    With drum pads the transmition of velocity and the physical rebound are important, with finger pads the first is mostly, but not always more or less (significantly) worse, the second doesn't matter.
    The velocity curves/respond can be adjusted in the software, aswell as the keys (mostly you have a bunch of different sn/hh positions available in the software, but the pads won't transmit them all).
    I you will buy used trigger pads I recommend try before you buy, if you want to get new ones I recommed to buy two or three at the same time from your trusted dealer online and send two or all three back, or go to a big store and test them there.

Playing the whole kit in several runs (fisrt bd & sn, then cyms & hh, then toms) is a fine working approach for a non-drummer.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  20. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yes.. think I am limited to that approach for the foreseeable future... :wink: