Roland files for trademark on 303 and 808

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Haliax, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Haliax

Haliax Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Well, that's certainly thrown a spanner in the works for Behringer's release of the RD in March!

No, I don't believe they are trying to sue retroactively, just halt clones that appear the same visually. Hence Propellor Heads stopping Rebirth not long ago. Which helped prove that, even after allowing it for 20 years, Roland *have* been protecting their intellectual property, specifically trade dress. Which then gives them more clout when it comes to Behringer.

4. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

I seem to remember a long time ago I think it was Refex that did a Roland clone and they sued them or stopped them from selling the plugin, and TAL have that very specific tag line on theirs about it being a recreation of a personally owned Juno 6.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Now that the hardware competitor Behringer with (almost) equal sounding products is close to release this timing looks close to a stab in the back.

6. Pharaoh41

Pharaoh41 Ultrasonic

I was wondering why Rebirth was discontinued. I STILL have Rebirth on a DVD disc that came with my Computer Music magazine. That was over a decade ago.

7. alex921

alex921 Producer

Roland should have done it right the first they came out with their re-releases of their drum machines/synthesizers, in many peoples view they released some half baked synths, and basically commercialized their whole boutique range into cheap plastic. Behringer is doing it right this time, and exactly at this moment they have to step in. If they win this case,(if there is even one) and they win it, I will boycot Roland for my life. Who didn't dream of owning the real deal for less then 500 euro in its youth?