Roland Cloud releases JV-1080

Discussion in 'Software News' started by nobodyspecial, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

These are actually very good cheap watches. They last a long time.
    All the best in 2018 bro :)

2. Gwydion

Gwydion Kapellmeister

The GUi is not nice but it is at least zoomable from 100% to 200% for each plugin. A little bit tricky to find. It's hidden behind "option".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

My complaint about Roland cloud synths is that they sound samish, if not the same. The virtual analogues, I mean. They are also a bit buggy [try holding an arp on the keyboard and pressing "hold" in the plugin, it only works with one key that you have to press on the virtual keyboard = stupid] and I can't understand why they use so much CPU?! Because they don't sound as good as u-he synths. As if they're programmed in Java or something. :sad:

I feel rather underwhelmed with Roland cloud synths in general. Except D-50, which sounds quite nice to my ears. I'm hoping JV-1080 sounds good, too, as it is also a rompler. For me, u-he Diva and Togu synths sound better than Roland's own emulations and Arturia has implemented better features in their emus, however they sound the worst of the bunch [Arturia JP8 filter sounds almost like a joke to me], but they use the least CPU of all, so it's understandable. If I'm to use a Roland analogue synth, I would first try u-he or Togu and only then Roland VA synth. That's awkward, but that's what I hear and feel about it. :wink:

They also persuaded me to never consider any of the new plastic synths [toys?] Roland has put out lately.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  4. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Real interested to hear just how it fairs up to the hardware..
    personally..i really enjoy using the cloud range..
    The sh101 s killer i think..
    ths is bout the jv i kno..
    Loved the hardware..suspect il love the software version juuust as much!

5. Heels Machine

Heels Machine Kapellmeister

I use the roland cloud synths on all my tracks now, and it's just perfect. The Jv 1080 is a beast, the irony is that I'm controlling it with my original DX7 MKI (1983). I would love Arturia doing the same pricing.

6. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Well said, Roland hmmmmm is a mystery to me. But def no where near the best of the game.
    Arturia, fancy looking but not great either
    I know what I use, and compared, not even U-He impresses. U-Who??
    But I don't make it dance music trashy....if that's your thing then be my guest...:wink:

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I make EDM only when full of THC and wine. That is, when I can barely play anything and hear anything properly and everything sounds sooo good [especially e.g. phaser>filtered delay>reverb]. But it's enjoyable. :wink: Until you wake up in the afternoon and hear the 30 sec of what you've been tinkering with for hours. :rofl: But sometimes this "method" can produce interesting tunes that I can use for serious work.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Lol, I just found out that the guy who did Spectrasonics was actually presets designer for D-50...

AND, strangely, miraculously, after watching the video, I got inspired and found no worries to let go all my downloaded libraries lol. It's like I'm having somekind of revelation to do what Eric do (with Studio One stock sounds lol). I previously not really aspired to work with S1 stock sounds, kinda not really found that oomph. Somehow the video gotten me a starting point to play creative with Studio One stock sounds. Looking forward to make my own D-50 with it (hopefully, lol). Eric will be my footsteps <3

9. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

D50 had less than 1 megabytes of samples. The Korg M1 had 4 megabytes. JV 1080 had eight.

There's something to be said about how meticulously these old units were programmed. SampleTank 3 is over 30gb, has a surprisingly limited amount of sounds and most of them sound and play arguably worse than JV 1080 or even some of the M1 patches.

I hope these companies take the next step and release their late 90's-2000 gen stuff soon. IMO Roland Phantom and Korg Triton beat every "bread & butter" software rompler hands down.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

These old romplers have much more sounds that are immediately usable. That's what I often hear people say - usable sounds, programmed for musicians who know how to play. On the other hand, these sounds sound somewhat bland to a non-player.

11. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Isn't the "Cloud JV1080" actually more like a virtual XV50xx?
    Looks like it's got its PCM waveforms anyway.

12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

They did!
    See it here:

13. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Ha! Thanks for that! I suddenly just remembered the day I was looking for MIDI sound replacement for BIAB and found Yamaha S-YXG50.. works on Win 10 though.. here is the link: http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/

[​IMG]

14. Skull

Skull Producer

Can't wait for it to get released on the sister site.

please r2r.

15. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

It's TRUE there was a LOT of care taken with the old gear to juice every bit of flavour from the minimalist gear and memory capacity.
    AND the Japanese take extreme pride in their work, we have THEM to thank for the beauty they infused into their gear.
    PRIDE, COMMITMENT and TRADITION is what dev's forget, to make truly inspiring instruments on par with a fine violin, guitar or piano.
    These old Synths were no different in the tradition of fine instrument craftmanship
    Something you will not learn in programming school.
    Good musicians deserve quality instruments and nothing less.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Yamaha S-XGS50 is not a VL-1/70/70m emulation. It's more like SY-77/TG-77 or rather TG-55 emulation and far from complete emulation of these synths as many editing parameters are missing from it. I suppose S-XGS100PVL is not a complete emulation of Yamaha VL synths, as well.

Editing Yamaha VL-1/70/70m is *very* complicated, with many sound parameters. However, you can get the "gist" of these synths and basic parameter editing from these emulations [or rather "emulations"].

They are primarily very useful for composers who don't know how, or just don't like to, wade through the hundreds of sound presets and edit them to fit the song. S-XGS50 is also the best GM/GS/XG MIDI file player there is for Windows, when you don't want to tinker with finding the right patches to play GM/GS/XG MIDI files properly. Fun synths anyway! :wink:

There is also a General MIDI sample bank for Kontakt that is really good [and big], but I can't remember who made it...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List