ROLAND CLOUD D50

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moogerfooger, Jun 20, 2017.

1. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

I'm confused which is the' powerful ... significant' one?

2. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  3. Thank you @dragonhill .. because that was what I was desperately hoping for, namely for someone to step up in honesty and openness that understands the similarity/subtle difference of my analogy, to help me prove, that just because our member in good esteem fiction cannot hear or does not want to hear the difference for whatever reason it does not mean that there is no difference. I set up an analogy in which one need experience of a thing in order to have something to judge it against. The point was not that there is just a psychological difference (my "yup" answer was not meant as agreement, only that I was halfway in the arms of morpheus and could not write any further), obviously, like the subtle difference between two different shades of green can trigger different emotions although they are both technically green, let's say in the case shamrock green vs emerald green, but that it goes further than that. The whole point of the analogy is, the color blind person cannot every see the difference, and to argue from that non-vantage point of lack of ability is not a reasonable one. So, to sum up in the case from what I heard of the two Roland D-50 examples from the video, I hear real and experienced differences between the two, the emulation is very close to the original and I believe could be used interchangeably in any song and most people would never hear the difference, and other people can hear these subtle differences when the two instruments are played against each other one after the next. Yup, and good morning.

4. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

This.

5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

How, dear superliquid, did you come to this conclusion?
    I really wanted to make sure we're comparing synths, not audio interfaces.
    If you're after an emulation so close that the audible differences are minimal, you'll have to choose an audio interface matching the sound of the original D-50 as well! (see one of my previous posts about alternative ways to achieve this.)

6. Hamudi2000

Hamudi2000 Ultrasonic

That is because the video is made in an unprofessional way. There is now real volume matching and in one example he compared an EDITED version of the sound with the original factory sound of the vsti. He even admitted that his D50 has problems, that´s why he had to adjust the panning on the original. Plus it is not a blind test.

7. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I was quite surprised that the DAC of my JD800 is working at 18 bit. I ever wondered why the heck it sounds so Wonderfull now I know its because of its DAC. I would love to have THAT sound instantly available in my software :) Its not really gritty, it just shines and the high frequencies feel pleasant compared to any software. The bass is phat without those nasty boomy frequencies

8. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

How to program a Roland D-50

9. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Also tons of sysex files(banks from CultofD50.org site), converted to bin files by user beely.
    https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=423037&start=435

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/owdr8l3ulp0s31p/cultofd50_for_plugin.zip?dl=1
    Just put it in C:\ProgramData\Roland Cloud\D-50 and in case if it doesn't show, press the "patch>load" button and search for desirable bin file.

Edit:
    User beely also put up a web based D50 syx converter: http://www.difficultaudio.com

"This hasn't been *extensively* tested (eg on other web browsers and platforms etc) but give it a try and let me know if anything isn't working for you. "

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

For some (somewhat surprising) reason, it's always Roland's (at these times) cost-efficient multiplexed DAC plus discrete S/H stage designs that so many people find great in sound. As if DAC => Analog Demux => S/H stages would do something good to the sound.
    Well, they obviously do :wink:

11. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I want that in my daw :)

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Probably was not a secret, but jd-800 is now "confirmed"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Me too :wink:
    My new hope: D16 Decimort 2. I'll have to test it soon.

14. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Probably it is somehow possible to create a Impulse Response of those great sounding DAC's ?

15. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

It's called shitty old DAC. If you want noise and distortion, just add a noise generator and put a bitcrusher on your master

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

It is not about shitty odd , but rather pleasing sound. Have a listen to an real JD-800 it doesn't sound gritty at all. It actually has a 18bit DAC.
    Its it more than just distorting the sound or reducing bits or sample rate

17. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Don't trust manufacturers. When you add noise and errors into account, 18 bits becomes about 12 usable ones. It still works that way these days. Bitcrush to 12 bits, possibly try to get the DAC's frequency response and apply it with EQ. Or if you really care that much, build a 12-bit DAC R2R circuit and pass the plugin through it

18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

The jd doesnt sound gritty