Roland Cloud & CPU

Discussion in 'Software' started by black bounty, Apr 24, 2019.

1. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

hi guys,

I'm on mac, and since i've upgraded from mavericks to sierra, the Roland suite is quite unusable.

I've had glitches and overload in the past, which I managed to avoid by checking the "low cpu" option ( or something like that, those who know see what I mean ) but since the upgrade of both the OS & Logic ( 10.4.. ), they just say "no".

has anyone experienced this, and / or have advice to make it run smooth again, or do I have to kiss them goodbye ?

specs : MBP mid 2010, SSDs, 16Gb ram, logic

thx

:bow:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

While we wait for some feedback on your question, I'll just add a comment about the Roland stuff:
    I installed them for the nostalgia, but likely won't use any very far along in a project.
    That is because I read some about how other simulations do a better job. (Sound good and more efficient / stable(?) better GUI,etc.)
    Well, I am an amateur and I do not know by the sounds, but I prefer other interfaces, and Roland does seem to be a bit behind the curve.
    But I like to look at them because i had an SH-101 Juno60 & D-50 and always wanted a Jupiter 8 ....

4. DrumHead

DrumHead Producer

In general your MBP 2010 is gonna run like a turtle with logic 10.4 and sierra. Sierra is super bloated with useless background processing that pro user audio/video dont need. There is a script out there to disable some of the useless stuff if you are an advanced user. I wouldn;t go any higher than Logic 10.3.3 on that setup. And thats pushing it!

5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

@black bounty Hiya.
    If you've just 'upgraded' to Sierra, is it possible the system is still indexing lots of stuff, and eating CPU? Like, indexing lots of photos takes a long time. Just a thought.
    My stage Mac is the same as yours, 2010 7.1, but with only a 2.4Ghz processor, not the 2.6
    The Roland stuff is CPU intensive for me too, but not unworkable...

Anyway. D-50 doesn't sound as nice as my real one, or the Juno 106. But nice to have.

Logic 10.4.4, 16GB, OS on SSD.

6. black bounty

yeah, it was anecdotal. it's just plugins I like to have in order to fuel my creativity, I don't use them often, my main synths are spire, omnisphere, ANA.. ( and kontakt libraries )

I didn't noticed that, but share the script or MP a link if you can

no, I did the upgrade like, 1 month+ ago, and we've got the same configuration.
    everything was, as you say, workable with mavericks, but since the upgrade, no way. the rest is fine. :)

:mates:

7. Delay

Delay Guest

Roland is cpu heavy but... logic is slow as hell. Works ok with live and others daws on market, so no excuse for bad multicore support and lot of legacy code inside. Latest logic which worked fine for me is logic 9 after then comes 10 and I switched to pro one.
    Second, logic price is really magnetic but there is no point if we get overload every 30min. Sometimes just average load with simple plugins.

Long story short, they killed all "pro" in logic and added lot of old software with Ui redesign on top, now we have fast machines but slow software, slow workflow but nice UI. My friends (die hard logic fans) agree with me.
    Everyone said the same, they would wait for a new version and hope they will fix it all for now they use ableton live.

I wonder does logic have problem on latest apple hardware made for mojave macos and iMac pro? any?

8. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

D-50 is samples and VA.
    Think of it as Omni/Avenger/Absynth etc's daddy.
    They could have made it better than the original hardware synth. I don't know how it's possible to sound worse than original when now we have less memory and virtual analogue synthesis limitation

9. DrumHead

DrumHead Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Background processes disabled or not, (i think it doesn't really matter), in my opinion/experience Roland Cloud plugins seem to tend (very) CPU hungry.
    I am using all latest versions of Roland Cloud plugins, on OSX Mojave - latest version, very clean and maintained system.
    Even when Roland Cloud plugins used in Reaper, known for it's great economic CPU resources handling, Roland Cloud plugins can eat CPU
    resources for lunch on my macbook retina 2015, leading to audio crackling.(ofcourse, depends on used polyphony alot).

11. black bounty

thx, not sure if I'll use it, but always useful to have more options

yeah, I guess it is.
    thing is, I had crackles on some presets but most synths were working correctly, with just CPU economy mode On.

now, with both CPU saving and polyphony to its minimum, they're not usable.

I did not tried them in Ableton, tho ( and I don't have Reaper ), but I was wondering if somehow there was a way to fix this modifying some of Logic's options ( which I haven't done yet )

:bow::mates:

12. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Roland's softsynths are sad compared to their original hardware synths which I owned 25-40 years ago. And the cloud versions are slow hogs. Roland was king back in the day but when Korg came out with the M-1 the game changed.

13. bandabanda

bandabanda Newbie

14. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual