ROLAND CLOUD 4.0 - Jupiter 8 Juno 106 Plug-Outs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moogerfooger, Mar 1, 2017.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've talked to some VST developers and they confirmed that archaic GUIs influence the sound in a bad way. :sad: Further on, they say that it's rather important to use [soft?] less saturated colours to get fatter sound. Programming techniques these days, eh? :wink: Ways beyond Spectrum or Commodore Basic.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

There are so many guys playing stupid guitars, drums, and other real instruments. I have no idea what they're hoping to achieve. /s :wink:

3. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

Archaic GUIs certanly influence workflow in a bad way. (Awkward preset changing, tiny knobs etc. etc.)

Unfortunatelly, Jupiter-8 plugout is not better than Arturia in this area. They should learn from u-he (Diva, Repro-1).

4. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

sure but the point is .. there's nothing new that could possibly come out of a SID chip (C64) or a Jupiter 8 in 2017, we're not talking of a Stradivari violin or a vintage guitar, any modern DSP will beat old analogs hands down in any department, even a 20$ Raspberry can make incredible audio things in real time.

analog freaks have this perception that analogs are fatter and more punchy and that this cant be replicated in digital which is total bullshit, even a decent EQ can turn a cold/neutral digital synth into a massive sound, add some fuzz, compressors, wave shaping, etc, and you will hardly distinguish which one is analog and which one is digital.

the freaks will claim it sounds cold even if you sample a real JP8 at 192/24, there's no way to win a rational discussion with them, they're fanatics and members of a cult.
    but hey, let them waste 5000$ to buy yet another vintage shit synth with no midi and 5-6 preset memories, for all i care they can all go Fk themselves just as the guitar freaks buying a vintage Fender or Gibson for 30000 $, while they're busy playing with their new toys the rest of world keeps movin on with their 100% digital setup, to each his own.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

it's cleaner than a real JP8 so someone will certainly like it, i compose mainly soft music so i dont give a shit about rough sounds.
    problem is, i see no reason to use Arturia instead of Omnisphere.

if i need a raw punchy synth i would go for Spire or Serum, i see no point in emulating obsolete technology when we can use 2017's stuff.
    seriously, for how long should we stick with 80's sounds ? they were boring already in the 80s actually ... the real legend of the 80s is the DX7, not the roland synths, you will find the DX sounds in almost every top song ever published in the last 30 years, which is not the case for Roland or Korg.

6. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

there's no suprise about Diva, it's probably the BEST synth in the market for analog emulation/simulation.

7. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

Keyscape has been totally downplayed, it's a great product, there's nothing so good in the market especially for the Rhodes sound.
    Unlike for analogs these are evergreen sounds, nobody will ever get bored by a good piano or a good Rhodes.
    i use it in almost all my new tracks.

8. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

Roland has to stick to the old, because it's the only thing they've got left. They even sampled their badly dated D-50 from 1987 for the Roland Cloud, yes, finally, the infamous fucking D-50 Roland and Eric Piersing furiously protected from being sampled over the years. now you can have it "official" from Roland and Eric LOL

Or wait, is it actually Binary Music's work from two years ago Eric got mad about and had it removed from their site? I suspect, in the end Roland might have bought their samples and use them for Anthology 1987.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Eric Piersing if you're reading this, you're a fat bitch.

10. michaelbrac

michaelbrac Guest

Thats will be nice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Damn, downloaded the Juno-106 plugout and was pretty disappointed. They kind of nailed the sound, but added about 25 factory presets (the rest being celebrity synth tweaker presets like every other synth VI) instead of at least porting both of the original factory preset banks. Also, it's been thirty or so years since I messed around with one, but I don't recall the 106 having digital reverb, On the other hand, they nailed the Sound Canvas.

Anybody know if the Cloud 106 can even accept .sysex data so I can try putting in the original preset banks? If it even has that capability? And if so ... HOW?!?

12. Waver

Waver Kapellmeister

If you click on PATCH on the GUI and then LOAD, it has only .bin so no.

13. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

they meanwhile fiexed the GUI so that it saves it GUI size ? And waht about teh circular knobs , is there now a way to switch them to linear movement ?

14. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

System 8 would be so nice with lot more modulations!...It's a shame!

15. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

i compared the jupter 8 with my hardware one... will not send back my jupiter 8 :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Waver

Waver Kapellmeister

No wonder...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  17. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Yeah, it didn't seem likely, based on what I could tell. I have it on the Mac, so all the presets that came with the plug are in ".aupreset" format. Why would they be so miserly with the presets, though? 4 KBs per preset is a lot of data?

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

19. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

yes that was the joke about it. but i think honestly that jupiter 8 by roland is far closer then the Arturia one, although i still hear the differences when i play it solo . especially in chords. but then again no two jupiter 8's sound the same. due of the drift between the 8 osc's. also in the mix you would not notice the difference between soft and hardware. so its a great replacement if you don't have the hardware

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual