ROLAND CLOUD 4.0 - Jupiter 8 Juno 106 Plug-Outs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moogerfooger, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I agree, Roland has lost its edge 20 years ago. Now they clearly have no idea what to do - they are waaay behind Korg.
    They don't even have a clear plan regarding their plugins. For example: Over a year ago they introduced the SoundCanvas VA (VERY good port of the SoundCanvas engine and sounds - even including advanced models like SC-88Pro, which was a great module at its time). But... it is very hard to find any info about SoundCanvas VA on Roland website.

They really did some horrible mess. First: bad software ("Virtual Sound Canvas") in the past. Then no VST at all. Then "plug-outs", which in fact are regular VST plugins (and people get confused). Now the Cloud - and some plugouts are only in the cloud, while the rest is available separately. Not to mention, that e.g. the Roland D-50 "emulation" (eagerly awaited by many users) is a mere ROMpler, not engine emulation.

I used to love this company. But in the 21st century the managament brought it to its knees.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. mr.nanebi

mr.nanebi Newbie

hi there,
    I have tested jupiter-8. I think it has better sound than Arturia plugin and it does some sounds ( like pads) better than my boutique JP08,
    but if you have patience with boutique, you can get also some magic sounds out of it, that software cant do. Juno 106 is also amazing.
    I pray for R2R to look on it.

3. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I tried Arturia's Jup-8 some time ago and its sound didn't convince me at all. (Not to mention the archaic GUI.)

So fingers crossed on this one...

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Could you share your FX chain and sound manipulation techniques with us? I absolutely agree that you have to rough up digital sounds somewhat to get an analogue effect. This is my favourite example about not worrying too much about the raw sounds coming out a synth, even analogue ones :)

5. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

it's already popular, i've seen many videos on youtube with people modding old computers and running ancient audio apps, one guy even wrote a brand new audio app for C64, no idea what they're hoping to achieve...

6. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

basically a bit of tube saturation, eventually some fuzz and overdrive, in some cases a whole rack of guitar FXs for instance on synth leads.
    but i would do the same with a real analog, the difference is analogs are already saturated and full of bass tones so they need to be tamed rather than pumped up.

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

More or less what I do then :)

8. michaelbrac

michaelbrac Guest

When those plug outs plugins supposed to be released?

9. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

very likely a bunch of non-music, inexperienced wearing suits & ties dumb-asses ceo's are managing that part of the company, -basically they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

if i was them; i would license everything out to UAD, the entire range of iconic Roland hardware to be replicated and emulated the "UAD-knowhow" way. As they have already licensed some FX plugins with them, then why not to take a step above and workout some synths eh?

but i presume the roland 'greed' will prevent that from happening

hopefully R2R will extract those vst's before the entire roland cloud project dies and those vst synths with it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  10. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

indeed Roland has been killed by MBAs and greed just like so many others companies in the past.
    i couldn't care less honestly, Roland was great in the 80s and 90s but now it's a relic of the past century, i can't remember a single legendary made by roland after 1995.

i mean, even wanting what they could come up with ? Korg is making good bucks with mini synths and mini things, beginners love that stuff, Roland instead keeps placing his shit in the mid-low price line but it's never delivering anything great, their Juno line in the past years is made of a bunch of mediocre stage keyboards that nobody will remember, their top of the line keybs are good but not as good as Korg or Yamaha or Kurzweil or ...

their accessories are totally overpriced, even their VSTs will be forgotten, they can't even make a decent Sound Canvas emulation/simulation for fucks sake, there are free soundfonts packs sounding MUCH better than commercial roland SC55/88 crap.

R2R shouldnt even bother with that.

i dont think UAD gives a shit about emulating the classic Roland sound, Omnisphere is already more than good enough for that !
    Spectrasonics = Roland !

11. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

@Moogerfooger
    Not that it really matter but you might want to correct the typo in the title of your post... :wink:

12. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

Arturia's emulations have a Neutral sound, they're designed to be that way and they expect you to setup your own FX chain.
    no Arturia plugin will sound good in its raw form and there's nothing wrong with it.

to my fine ears their Yamaha CS80 is the best emulation in the market and their JP8 is great as long as you add some punch with FX.

people expecting a plugin to sound great out of the box will be sorely disappointed but neutral sounds are always better than overprocessed sounds because they allow you total freedom.

any sound can become super punchy if you know about mixing.
    complaints about neutral sounds are just silly, probably coming from newbies who expect turn-key solutions, in that case they better look elsewhere, grab the Vengeance shit packs or whatever.

13. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

"People expecting a plugin to sound great out of the box will be sorely disappointed but neutral sounds are always better than overprocessed sounds because they allow you total freedom."

Quite true, if you listen to the spectrasonics keyscapes it's very clean as raw sounds, but you got options to add change the noise levels or go mad into crazy with omnisphere and the creative expansion.

14. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

@Avenel:
    Most YT demos of a real Jupiter-8, with its raw sound without any FX sound far superior to Arturia's emulation. So no, I don't agree with you. Maybe Arturia presents some kind of "neutral sound" - but it is not a neutral sound of a real Jupiter. :D

At the same time, the Jupiter-8 plugout video posted a few days ago sounds rather convincing.

15. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

funny. but the Jupiter 8. doesn't sound like my real Jupiter 8. it misses all the weight and feel of the oscillators ,because every oscillator
    in the Jupiter 8 is a bit different of eachother.

16. jvne

jvne Kapellmeister

Guys, there is a "VST2 option" ... no crash here even if the cpu loads are still 46% for juno and 54% for jup - so just rendered in wav when needed... nice sound anyway

Edit:
    system-8 is more cpu efficient (peak like 77%...)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  17. nobodyspecial

. not convincing if you have the real deal next to you

18. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

@nobodyspecial:
    Yes, I believe you. I only meant, that I simply quite liked that YT demo (contrary to Arturia's emulation).

I didn't like the sound of the Boutique JP-08 - it was to sterile, in-organic. Someone said, that it sounded like "Jupiter-8 just 1 second after tuning", while in reality those small imperfections (like slight detuning etc.) add character to the sound.

Of course, maybe it's just the selection of sounds in that video, what fooled me. But it looks like the plug-out is an advance compared to prior emulations. (I hope so.)

19. nobodyspecial

I must tell you , the Arturia is a nice synth but it doesn't sound at all like the Jupiter 8 , I tried to recreate one to one patches with it on my Jupiter but it doesn't even sound close . I do not mean that one sounds better than the other, it is just a different synth. which shouldn't be the case if you replicated it. The Roland version comes indeed closer, but funny enough I get better results with Diva . I am not a purist so I do not claim that anything sounds worse than the Jupiter 8, funny enough I barely use it.

20. nobodyspecial

[QUOTE="
    system-8 is more cpu efficient (peak like 77%...)[/QUOTE]

don't know what machine you have but here it peaks at 37% on OS X with an i7 and 14gb ram, in Ableton live 9,7