Roland Announces JUPITER-4 Software Synth - 17/06/22

Discussion in 'Software News' started by BEAT16, Jun 18, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Roland Announces JUPITER-4 Software Synth

Available as a Legendary Series Plug-In and SYSTEM-8 PLUG-OUT through Roland Cloud - 17/06/22

Roland has announced the JUPITER-4 Software Synthesizer, the latest addition to the Legendary instrument series available through Roland Cloud. Released in 1978, the JUPITER-4 was Roland's first polyphonic synthesizer and the first to carry the JUPITER name. Roland says that, with the JUPITER-4 Software Synthesizer, the authentic sound of this trendsetting icon is now available as a computer-based plug-in and a PLUG-OUT for the SYSTEM-8 synthesizer keyboard. Here's the details in their own words...

Roland products with the JUPITER name represent the current pinnacle of the company's synthesizer development, a benchmark started over four decades ago with the JUPITER-4. In addition to incredible analog synthesis power, it brought then-revolutionary digital voltage control and the ability to store eight presets with technological wizardry dubbed "Compuphonic." But the JUPITER-4's real appeal was its warm, fat voice and inviting hands-on panel, which inspired synth pioneers to create the defining sounds of synth-pop, new wave, and other emerging styles of the late '70s and early '80s.

Roland's evolving Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology brings the JUPITER-4 to life through careful analysis of original hardware units, circuit diagrams, and other historical data. This information is then used to recreate the authentic circuit behaviors of the vintage instrument--including all the beloved quirks and instabilities--giving the JUPITER-4 Software Synthesizer a breathtakingly accurate sound that buzzes with unique character.

While the JUPITER-4 only has a single VCO, it sounds positively massive, thanks to the combined characteristics of its oscillator, filter, LFO section, and more. ACB brings all these elements together like the original hardware, capturing the behavior and component interactions to create sonic magic. Going further, powerful new Circuit Mod and Condition controls allow users to adjust the overall character to suit their taste.

The JUPITER-4 also includes enhanced features for modern workflows, including extended oscillator range, adjustable noise, velocity sensitivity, sub-oscillator volume control, and a flexible arpeggiator. In addition, phaser, flanger, overdrive, reverb, and delay effects are available to complement the lush Ensemble chorus effect from the original keyboard.

The plug-in flows easily into modern DAW environments with a resizable UI, support for VST3, AAX, and AU formats, and native compatibility with Apple silicon. It also offers full integration with the Roland SYSTEM-8 Synthesizer. Users can control the software plug-in from the keyboard's panel, and PLUG-OUT functionality turns the SYSTEM-8 into a standalone, eight-voice JUPITER-4 for stage and studio playing.

Pricing and Availability:

The JUPITER-4 Software Synthesizer is the newest member of Roland's Legendary series on Roland Cloud, which includes plug-in versions of the JD-800, JUNO-60, JUPITER-8, TR-808, TR-909, and other Roland classics.

Users can select two Legendary titles with the Pro membership level for $99/year, or get full access to all titles with Ultimate membership for $199/year. All paid levels--including Core and Pro--start with a free 30-day trial of Ultimate, allowing users to try out the JUPITER-4 and other Ultimate instruments, effects, apps, and more. In addition, any Roland Account holder can purchase Lifetime Keys for individual Legendary series titles. This provides unlimited access for as long as their account is active, even if they don't have a Roland Cloud membership.

The JUPITER-4 is part of the Analog Polysynth Collection, a new Legendary series bundle that also includes the JUPITER-8, JUNO-60, JX-3P, and JUNO-106 software plug-ins. The bundle provides Lifetime Keys for all included products and offers a savings of nearly 40 percent over purchasing individual titles.

More information: JUPITER-4

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

My friend's friend bought one in 1980-ish for a record he was recording. It was the first synthesizer I ever played.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

So we have this already? We have already plugin version of all of them? I dont understand what is new here?

EDIT!!!
    Ohh its an additional plugin to that series.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  5. 8bits

8bits Producer

No Artic....still not relled yet, tested it in my System-8, nice shit!

6. messyeater

messyeater Member

v.r are you listening?

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I traded my Commodore 64 for Jupiter-4. It was in 1990 when I bought Atari 1040STE to make music with it [Cubase]. Jupiter-4 was my first real synthesizer. I was mesmerised by its sound. It sounded sooo good to me after using Yamaha PSS-680 toy synth for 4 years. I could finally make some real Kraftwerk sounds! lol :wink:

Then other synths started "popping up"... PPG 2.3, Korg 707, D-20, SH-101, TR-808, TB-303, Polysix, Jupiter JX, Promars, Matrix-6, Korg Delta, Juno-106, Arp Axxe, Korg Wavestation, Akai-S950 [my first sampler]... My gf at the time couldn't fart in here without brushing at some synth. lol

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

It'll only be a matter of time before Roland also releases a Jupiter-6. Also, I'd considered buying a Plug Out synth like System-8, but since it can only host three plug-out synths, it didn't seem worth it.

• List
  9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

we really need the JD-990 and the JP8000 plugin versions!!!

• List
  10. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Roland pretends that they are done with jp80XX emulation by adding supersaw in system 1/8 . I can't say that i'm upset with that supersaw, but it sounds pretty mediocre tbh. Also there is supersaw in Zenology - aaaaaand it's the worst damn crap i ever hear in all my entire life. It was so bad and ugly that i uninstalled Zenology immediately.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List