RODE NT1/1a mod U87 Alternative Michael Joly

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by koschke, Aug 21, 2013.

1. koschke

koschke Noisemaker

Do any of you have information about RODE NT1/1a mod (for your mic) - U87 Alternative from Michael Joly Engineering?
    I was thinking to go for it instead of to buy a mic for 500€. :wow:
    Any experience or Information.

Thx

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

I've used the mod, nothing to dance about and its not even close to a U87 i work with 2 U87's​

Here's a link ... Michael Jolly

4. koschke

koschke Noisemaker

But did he improve the quality of the RODE NT1, is their big difference between the original RODE NT1 and the mode NT1.
    I was really thinking about to do this.
    It is much cheaper to buy the fake one and when its even close to it may be better than a mic that will cost me 1000€ like the Neumann 103.

IT would be helpful when you share your experience with us :mates:

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

It changed the mic's sound, as far as difference goes i liked the NT1 how it was originally made, if you know exactly what you intend to use the mic for then contact Michael Jolly and ask him for a custom mod, thats how most engineers work.​

6. koschke

koschke Noisemaker

What do you think is it worth to buy a mod one or should I go for a mic like the Neumann 103.
    I will use it foe Vocals and Rap. :dunno:

7. London007

London007 Member

There's an old saying which goes "buy cheap, buy twice"... meaning after you've spent $500 and then find yourself not even using that modded crap, you're going to wish you'd not been so cheap and had found the extra $500 to buy the Neumann instead.

The NT1 is fine as it is... but it will never match that 103.

8. halcyo

halcyo Newbie

Never tried Joly's mods, but modded mics are a legit concept. I auditioned an MXL v67g modified by JJ Audio and it sounded VERY up the u87 alley. Was it exact? If I was in the market for a vintage u87 sound on a budget, I'd highly recommend it. Powerful lower midrange. Smooth, clear (albeit slightly darkish) top end with just a touch of air way up there. It sat right up front and BIG in a mix we were auditioning it to.