Robin S - Show Me Love (Remix) - feedback appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Oysters, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

special shout out to @foster911 - we do post our music sometimes!

hello again ppls of AS.
    after some great feedback on the last remix i posted, i decided to crack on and do something new!
    about a year ago i told @( . ) ( . ) that i was going to do a remix of Robin S - "Show Me Love", so what better project to work on that this previously unfulfilled promise :)

I found a pretty good acapella and gave it an obnoxious amount of formant shifting and reverb.
    from there i built a whole new remix around it.
    not using the world famous synth hook from the "original" (stonebridge version) at all was key to taking this remix in a slightly different direction to most.
    this version (which may be how i leave it forever, who knows?) is just after composition, with only a little mixing done on my good old banger headphones and trusty laptop speakers :/.
    more could be done with it i suppose but i am reasonably happy with how it sounds so i may as well just move on to something new, and hopefully gather some useful feedback as i go.
    also it has no intro (starts at a 'breakdown') but it is already quite long so i think it doesn't need one.

as ever i'm open to any feedback, be it good or critical.

hope you like it!!

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

it puzzles me a bit, because at the same time as it is jumpy or experimental i find it to predictable. i just know what is going to happen and when it happens it doesn't engage me much

if you made the regular commercial remix i would have listened seeking the regular joy of hearing a original theme with a new backdrop. but here it really doesn't cut it.

and the guilty part believe it or not to me is the acapella. it has lost its purpose and it makes your track sound dull

i would delete the acapella and keep your instrumental. most probably it would make the track much more interesting, to me at least. cheers

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  4. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

@EddieXx thanks for taking your time to listen and respond.
    i'll admit that at first i was slightly disheartened by your review but you make valid points.
    comments to think about and learn from if i were to make future songs/remixes public.
    but i mostly make music for myself and i have unusual tastes so i'll keep doing what i will feel is true to myself! that's what it is all about isn't it?

5. G String

G String Rock Star

I love the original (or at least the classic mix I love - Stonebridge?)

I don't like the xylophone [1'30'']. It's not on the beat properly? It confuses the groove imo.

The xylophone is back at 4'50''. Surely the xylophone track needs to be dragged forward in time a few ticks? Its attack happens after the beat.

Personally I think it would be much better if it were a tad more minamalist. Sync the xylo attack better and take out some of the notes (maybe just leave the off beat ones?) and it'd be much better imo. And make the other sounds a bit more sparse - then it could be a sharp, minamalist rendition.

We all know the track, right? So you only have to hint at it?
    Why you want to deny me that? Why???!!! :D It certainly creates a tension not using it - because I want to hear it! God damn you! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Beth

Beth Guest

@Oysters I dont know the original but your version was a listening pleasure for me....thank you :) :like:

7. G String

G String Rock Star

Stonrbridge/original mix

8. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

hey thanks for your feedback, points taken on board.
    to address this issue^^ i deliberately offset some of the notes when the xylophony instrument was hitting chords. but it has a near instant attack so it should really be hitting with everything else.
    but the track a silly amount of swing and also every single midi note in every track is subject to a small amount of randomisation to its position, which could move things off...
    marimba.jpg

thanks!!! :)

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Good job dude! I kind agree about the xylophone. But to me IMO it needs some variation in the actual riff. To me it starts to get repetitive the 2nd time it loops around. Just some different little nuances and licks in the rif to give it more variation as it unfolds. I see how you chopped it up the in the reprise. What I like to do is when the part starts I keep it kinda sparse and loose and then make it get more busy as the riff progresses in the song part, until it crescendos at the transition. Like a lead guitar? It also helps to build more tension like a buildup. Just my 2 cents.

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Hey, When Im nudging around notes to get a loose/human feel Its okay if some of them are a hair early too. When I do this for pianos and guitars I try to visualize how a players fingers would strike the chords. Usually with the thumb and little finger first the the rest of the fingers a hair after. Same with my gtr midi, I visualize the strum/downstroke/upstroke. I just try to keep the root of the chord close to the beat

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  11. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

@subGENRE
    yeah that all makes sense. cheers :wink:
    i made changes to the xylophone riff when the kick goes 4x4 but maybe there was no impact because the riff started off too hectic?

12. G String

G String Rock Star

Try moving the whole midi piece forward a few ticks. See if it sounds sharper? I'm a sucker for everything on the beat, and so are the Rolling Stones. Just sayin.... :D It's the attack of the xylo that's out of sync - you want the "hit" of the Xylo on the beat, not the start of the midi for xylo on the beat imo. But it's your tune, not mine. :D

Did you filter the highs on the vocal? I expect more artifacts from the pitch shift, but, whilst there's a bit, it's not much. How much lower than the original did you go?

"this time around for me, babeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy
    actions speak lou-dah dan wooooooooorrrrrddddsssss"

What a song!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  13. Zoom Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Zoom Ultrasonic

Cool track !!! I messed around with it hope you don't mind!!
    The sound has mp3 ARTIFACT///and I don't have access to stems...obviously!

14. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

great to read these comments with witch i agree mostly, they could put exact practical words and propose actions than my more general reflection. I feel and agree with Gstrings comments a great deal.

thanks for sharing your track Oysters

15. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

The very start was -12st formant shift sweeping up to -4st. It stayed at -4 throughout. No filtering just a bit of chorus. In fact didn't really do much filtering. Foolish I know. Original acapella was MP3, but thankfully dry!

16. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I think the acapella was the weakest part and it wasn't even that bad.
    I actually prefer yours to the original.

17. G String

G String Rock Star

What did you use to pitch shift?

Is there any chance of a link to that acapella? Pretty please? I'll swap ya Candi Staton "You've got the Love" ;) Or "I feel Love".......or......

18. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

well i'm not going to judge it too harsly because I can already tell @Oysters isn't someone who has all day to work on his music.

It's clearly an amateur track, but a good amateur track. He's managed to do something different with the classic Robin S vocals...

But please @Oysters get some proper headphones and don't use ur laptop speakers ffs!!!

I'd rather use the donuts u sell at ur bakery to transmit sound than laptop speakers. at least donut has some fat in it fam...

19. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

thanks for sharing Zoom, this convinced me, the acapella and the instrumental track dont match in a million years. nor rhythmically or harmonically. the good news as said before is the instrumental doesn't need the acapella, its stands much better on its own.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016