RME updates Totalmix

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Resonance, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

Not exactly hot off the press but some of you may have missed this, I couldn't find anything on this site so forgive me if it's been mentioned before
    don't get too excited if your version doesn't have the effects as you won't be magically getting what it can't do

TotalMix FX 4 All
    10/2014 RME presents: The next Windows and Mac OS X driver generation with TotalMix FX for ALL RME audio interfaces!

[TotalMix FX 4 All]

Level 1: A new PCI/PCIe Windows driver (4.x) offers outstanding new features for WDM operation under Windows 7 and 8.

Level 2: FireWire and USB drivers updated with new features and slightly improved performance, under both Windows and Mac OS X.

Divine level 3: All new drivers now include TotalMix FX also for all older interfaces. Yes, RME ported the latest TotalMix FX back to all devices released since 2001!

To repeat and clarify: Now TotalMix FX replaces the old TotalMix on all RME HDSP(e) cards, as well as the legendary FireWire audio interfaces Fireface 800 and Fireface 400.

PDF AVAILABLE it's the driver download link on the news page

here's the Overview

The unified Windows driver of the RME HDSP and HDSPe series audio interfaces supports
    many different units, from the very first PCI-based Digiface up to the PCIe-based HDSPe AES.
    That makes it possible to use any combination of them (excluding the RPM) as one ASIO device.
    The Digiface started back in 2001 as the world’s first professional portable multitrack interface,
    and the first Hammerfall DSP (HDSP) interface ever. The HDSP series driver supports all interfaces released since then:
    Digiface, Multiface and RPM via CardBus, ExpressCard, PCI or PCIe card
    Direct PCI interfaces HDSP 9632,HDSP 9652, HDSP AES-32, HDSP MADI
    Direct PCI Express interfaces HDSPe AIO, HDSPe AES, HDSPe RayDAT, HDSPe MADI
    External PCI Express Interface HDSPe MADIface
    The DSP in HDSP refers to the introduction of TotalMix, a practically unlimited mixing/routing engine with full ASIO Direct Monitoring support, with
    the DSP cost-efficiently realized within the interface’s main chip, an FPGA.
    The HDSP series drivers have seen all Windows generations from 98 up to Windows 8.1. Over a period of more than 13 years, the basic driver
    design had to be changed several times, at one point even the firmware of the interfaces, to gain best performanceout of the ever changinghardware and operating systems.
    The new driver generation 4.x has several interesting aspects. For example, it brings back the old ‘Interleaved‘ option for WDM operation in an easier to understand and more flexible way. It also no longer waits for Microsoft to come up with a working sample rate control for professional multichannel audio interfaces, instead it implements complete unload/reload of WDM devices for full control under Windows 7 and 8. But even if only ASIO is used, the driver 4.x has something unique to offer: TotalMix FX. Yes, we ported the latest TotalMix FX back to all devices released since 2001! *no* Of course there is no EQ, no Echo, no Reverb, no Dynamics, as the hardware can not render these. Still there are many advantages of TotalMix FX in comparison to the previous TotalMix:

choice of mono and stereo channels

improved graphics including zoom states

OSC remote control

separate control room section, Cue, flexible talkback for all outputs, 4 Mute and Solo groups, Recall, External Input, local and global TrimGains/Post support with exclusion,
    Layout Presets to hide channels or MIDI remote functionality, 2 Row mode, multiple remote support, assignable F-key commands, Windows/Mac compatible mixer files, Matrix with Mono/Stereo mode, PFL mode, and and and...
    The list is long - and getting longer as TM FX is still being worked on.
    We can only encourage you to read the chapters describing TotalMix FX in detail.

Also *yes*
    New driver released 17/12/14 and flash update 07/25/2014 in case like me you missed it, for
    HDSP/HDSPe MADI, AES, RayDAT, 9632, 9652, AIO, MADIface, Multiface, Digiface, RPM

3. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

Thanks Resonance - did not know that!
    I am sure my Fireface can`t wait to get new drivers :)

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Thanks! I didn't know that.
    Will download and update now. Felt like it wasn't too long I updated.

Edit: What TotalMixFX version is it? I just found the v1.05 and replaced my v1.04.

Edit2: The new drivers (4.05) updates TotalMixFX to v1.07.
    Thanks!

5. Didn't have a clue, thanks.

6. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

Yeah TotalMixFX has been available for Fireface 400 and 800 users since last summer but you don't get the FX part as Fireface 400 and 800 don't have the chips to run them.

7. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

not too sure, its packaged in the 4.0.5 drivers setup, If your taskbar icon doesn't say "New Totalmix fx", then this is for you

8. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

Is this for Babyface, too...........?

9. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

it's probably part of the 12/18/2014 babyface drivers installation if your not using them yet,
    checked site and seems like it is

To clarify: from now on totalmix fx will always be updated or latest version installed along with newly released drivers

10. Anybody else have trouble getting onto the RME site?

11. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

@ Rasputin
    I can see your point with the settings,but that's missing a lot of improvements, this savable totalmix most people would have been using in earlier versions for a while now, mixer setting's can be saved quite safely to your disk and backed up without worrying about them being overwritten. If you still using the original one why not just print screen your setup and save that for reference.

12. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

@Rasputin
    Thanks for letting people know, I've only updated from later versions so wasn't aware it could spoil someone's day