RME UFX II vs Antelope Orion synergy core

Discussion in 'Studio' started by erwinor, Aug 5, 2024.

1. erwinor

erwinor Member

Hi ....

my metric halo just died and I want a new card....I am between UFX ii and antelope synergy core.
    I want to know sound wise which has better ADDA and preamps......of course and driver strability on mac...

Thanks !!!!!

3. eway

eway Ultrasonic

Hi,

I would go for the antelope. I got a Studio Orion since 2017 and I came from metric Halo too. Mine didn't died, but I was looking for the same exact thing, good ADDA converters and preamp, but not only. Antelope has a great routing possibiliies, inserts, Fx, flexibility and works 100% on MAC. I use it with PT. ask If you want to know something special about it.

cheers

4. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Antelope stops support for their products within 5 years or so. RME regularly support their products for up to 20 years and more.

All RME interfaces are class compliant, and I think the Antelope interfaces are as well, so either way you can use them in class compliant mode even if the software mixers can't be used. Both RME and Antelope are heavily dependent on using their respective software mixers though, so using them in class compliant mode will nerf them a lot.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  5. erwinor

erwinor Member

Thanks guys.... my main consideration about Antelope is the complains I read about drivers instability....cracks and pops with the devices bad support and of cource the short time support on their interfaces.I am still on an Intel mac but some time soon I ll switch to silicon...so I want long term support and stability.
    What about the sound of RME against Antelope ?Which is closer to metric halo?

6. nexusmusic

nexusmusic Kapellmeister

Once you go RME, you never Go back anywhere esle. Maybe RME don't or haven't embark on the bells and whistles of DSP powered plugins a la UAD... you know what I mean, many would wish RME would have jump in that wagon but thats NOT what RME is about. They have built-in DSP basic (amazing useful plugins for trackins and monitoring) but their FORTE is on the Sound quality & Best ROCK SOLID Drivers of any existing audio soudn card maker on the market ever existed period.
    No company has the amazing stability in terms of Drivers & Support than RME. In fact, with RME, you really never have any issues.
    Proof, I got one of the first RME Multiface sound card, meaning its over 15 years now and more and NOT once I had to call RME for any issue. And up to day, their drivers are supported ... go find me one company that does that??

Could go on and on.. now that does NOT mean Antelope is not good. Unfortunately the "complains" on Antelope are NOT fake complains, they are sadly true complains. Antelope soundcard quality is one of the BEST TOp on the market in the RME league but where they lack is in terms of stability = drivers & being able to sustain the support for their clients.
    They are always releasing new products instead of making sure the first version works solid and users gets his due in terms of money invested. I had Antelope but when you pay 3500$ for a soundcard and get left out 3 years or so after... you choose your battle. I now prefer UAD (funny enough) than Antelope and always have my RME as always depends on my needs.

Good luck

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Beware of the RME fanboy syndrome

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Fixed.

9. Semarus

Semarus Producer

The only Antelope interface I find somewhat compelling is the Galaxy 32. The sum total of its features isn't something RME offers in a single unit. That said, for all other considerations excluding hi-res tracking, I'd choose RME, otherwise Merging.

10. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

RME all the way for quality hardware, drivers & reliability.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. erwinor

erwinor Member

Thanks guys....I ll go for Ufx ii to keep me out of trouble...

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

RME without a doubt :yes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Hybridstudios

Hybridstudios Kapellmeister

as someone that owns a goliath hd, galaxy 32, galaxy 64, zentour and an amari... even atmos with 15 antelope antelope atlas i8's with 2 adams sub15s at the moment...
    converters can't be touched, but there are quite a few competitors and rme is one, have a love hate relationship with . however mac and pc sometimes the drivers can be problematic. not all the time but ive even had issues.
    with that said mac or pc no ones drivers are better than rme's imo and I really do like the ufx, however in the current state or professional audio i dont understand why its usb2. the ufxIII is usb3 and they can utilize all of its i/o but it should really be usbc or thunderbolt these days

can't go wrong either way
    might i suggest a lynx aurora

14. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

As mentioned before: One day you gonna give your RME stuff to your grandkids and they're gonna download the latest driver and start producing. 20 years and more of support is not an exaggeration. I have stuff here that is older and still gets updates.
    I dumped a lot of interfaces over the years, but none from RME

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

because bandwidth - USB 2.0 is just as fast as USB 3.0, but USB 3.0 can throughput more channels, aforementioned UFXIII indeed does have USB-C cable in the box included (regular USB-A cable too),
    if you need even more channels, then PCIe is relevant, and RME did start making new HDSPe AOX (512 channel interface) and if you want Thunderbolt, you can use PCIe Thunderbolt enclosure indeed (from Sonnet and such)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. FrankPig

FrankPig Rock Star

#RMEtoo

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. El digital

El digital Kapellmeister

RME :wink:

18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Are you 100 % sure that the latency will not be better for USB 3?

19. sinematrix

sinematrix Member

RME no doubt.
    Most audio interfaces are abondoned by their brand after 3~5 years, but RME seems to left no one behind. I have my UFX+ 4 years ago, and I bought SoundID at the same time, but just last month, RME has released new function for most of its interfaces, "Room EQ", it basiclly can replaces SoundID by design your own EQ curve on main output channels (and headphone channels). That makes RME interfaces almost perfect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Tommy.G.

Tommy.G. Noisemaker

RME !!!!! :bleh::wink:

21. kags

kags Ultrasonic

RME here 18 years no problem! coming from profools HDX

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List