RME fireface 800 still relevant

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Eborguy, Feb 29, 2024.

?

Is the RME Fireface 800 still relevant today?

1. yes, it is still a great interface for recording and mixing for 350 euros. (400 USD)

50.0%
  2. Na, it is too old you' re gonna be stuck with it really quickly.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The audient ID mk44 is a better choice.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The audiofuse studio is a better choice.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The audiofuse 8pre is a better choice.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. There is a better choice not mentioned here!

50.0%
  1. Eborguy

Eborguy Member

Hi this my first post, so sorry if I am not following the rules, I had another account since 2020 but, as it was a Gmail account, I was not able to retrieve it after password lost, who knows why...
    So I am a long time reader, but never post anything, and I am French, so sorry for my English in advance, be gentle, no one is perfect :rofl:. I want to add that I am almost fluent in Spanish and understand pretty well and try my best in English too, so feel free to answer my question in any of these languages. It will be really appreciated.
    So after this long intro here comes my question: I decided to take production more seriously after working with my bands' mate, past and actual, and it seems that a lot of my old friends are asking me to help them to make preprod and push further their production for their new project.
    For the moment, I only have a VSX, a first generation Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and Kali audio lp6 first generation but I prefer to work with my VSX as I have a shitty room and bad acoustic so my monitor doesn't translate well (I am a flat/bedroom producer).
    Taking everything in consideration, I am asking myself what would be the best upgrade as I want to gain quality in playback and recording (so headphones amp and preamp quality) and in a pretty close future, to be able to record a drummer. I have a limited budget as I would like to invest in 500 DIY module ( soundskulptor mp573
    and maybe api clone and comps too). That's why the Fireface 800 (+ TI chipset firewire card) looks like a bargain nowadays... even if it's a pretty old card and subject to incompatibility.
    I have also looked at more modern interfaces like Audient ID44 MKII or Audiofuse 8pre, Audiofuse studio, Motu 8pre etc... As you can see I would like to have 8 pre o 8 input/insert on the same interface. I don't know when or if I will be able to make a living about producing so finding the best interface for the bucks would be a must for me.
    As for my computer I am on windows 11 and I have an 7900x Amd with ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WiFi compatible thunderbolt 4 and a mac book air aside, would be great to be compatible with both (I don't mind if there is adapter). If Someone can advice a good pci firewire card too, I am all ears.
    I just want to thank Stevie, No avenger, Pirate and Olymoon for everything you have done for the community, I am a big fan of your work :winker:.
    If you have read this message till the end thank you so much. Thanks by advance for your recommendations and have a nice day.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024