Rme Babyface with Spl Volume 2

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by memzac, May 22, 2014.

1. memzac

memzac Newbie

Hi Guys. Hope i'm in right forum section. Sorry if not. So, I work with a "Rme Babyface" that goes into a "Spl Volume 2" analog controller. I want to know how to set the Babyface volume before the Spl attenuates it. Months ago an "expert" told me that you have to push the audio interface volume all up (-0db) to have more dynamic, and then control it with the volume analog controller. The problem is that when i go to -0db with the Babyface, it starts clipping. Where am I wrong? Thanks a lot for attention and have a nice day :)

3. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Since the audio interface.
    More you use the dbs, more you use the bit range of your choosen db (16bits or 24 bits for example)
    You must understand that when you start doing multitracks you db and bit range raise, despite you choosen bit.
    So, of course, you can lower the volume in your totalmix and to be safe use also a limiter. :wink:

4. angie

angie Producer

The Spl Volume 2 has a standard professional input @ +4dB and so you should choose the output of the babyface @ +4dB and put the output faders at 0dB (usually the default position). Looking at the specs of Spl Volume 2 seems virtually impossible to overdrive it so I think that the cause of distortion must be elsewhere.

5. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

If the output of the Babyface is clipping, it's because whatever you are sending it is turned up too high. Are you sending from your DAW to the Babyface when this happens? Or is it some other program? If you are mixing, be careful with using a limiter, because it is easy to forget and start pushing your levels too high and start losing a lot of dynamic range. Usually when your master bus is clipping it's a great sign that your levels are too hot, unless you are volume mastering your track.

6. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

I have an SPL 2Control.

I'm pretty sure it's not the SPL which is clipping, but something else.