RME Babyface pro with Behringer ADA800?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by phloopy, Dec 6, 2019.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hi guys

I seldom have use of more than two input channels, but in case I actually need eight channels then.... would Behringer ADA800 be an option?

Im mostly concerned about the quality of the preamps on the Behringer.

Cheers

3. WhiteMidnightProductions

WhiteMidnightProductions Ultrasonic

Alot of people don't know this which is why they get a bad rep but everything from Behringer is usually a clone of great hardware so there's nothing to worry about to get you started. Plus is there really such a thing as a horrible pre? Noise and gain would be the only things that'd make a pre bad in my opinion and I'm 100% sure you could make some commercial level stuff. Also I read up on the ADA8000 and they're sporting "invisible" pres. From the name, they're probably implying that these are gonna be transparent or clean and I've used one of these clean pres before and they're fantastic. Alot of studios will beef up the front end with some good hardware compressors and/or EQs anyway before things hit the AD converters. Plus you could always use outboard pres or a console so you could have a Neve or SSL pre with a tinge of behringer if you set it up right. A final word though, the cheap preamps and converters we have now are above and beyond the work of alot of what was available before and we peaked at sonic textures around the 80s so don't you worry. Go for what you can afford now. The ability to record drums will pay for better equipment.
    P.S. The sample rate conversion only goes up to 48kHz which is okay if you're not working with super famous people rn. Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. recycle

recycle Guest

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks @recycle but most reviews tells me there´s not much upgrade from 8000 to 8200 - not even to the preamps.

I already have a 8000 and wanna keep expenses low - so far!

:like:

6. BILIYA

BILIYA Newbie

Im mostly concerned about the quality of the preamps on the Behringer. Dafont Showbox Adam4adam

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  7. dingoday

dingoday Member

I bet the Behringer is horrible. People always say that the b2031a genelec clones are great speakers but really they just suck donkey balls. I mean whats wrong with people and their opinions

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

you'd better keep an eye on used RME Octamic II, that will give you 8 great quality mic pres,
    or at least Focusrite Octopre Dynamic MKII and similars,
    about that 8000 vs 8200 - I remember there were some problems with power delivery on older 8000 models, the newer 8200 fixed those for good, so it's in general safer bet - but keep in mind with those cheap preamps you really get what you pay for

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

A very good friend and client of mine, has been upgrading his studio and he got a Tascam 8p Dyna to test. He called me for advice on a pc upgrade and while sipping coffee we went through the pre-amp meticulously. This baby is on top of my list now. The build quality isn't great, i'd say mediocre, but the sound is excellent, easily the best pre and A/D up to 1000 euros imho. It also has a built-in compressor in every channel with no settings though, it comes with a fixed 2:1 ratio and we both found it to sound sweet too. If you can grab one to test, you 'll be hard pressed to find anything that challenges this particular 8 ch. preamp and A/D. It costs ~555 euros.
    https://www.thomann.de/gr/tascam_series_8p_dyna.htm
    Happy new year mates, my wishes for health and prosperity :)
    PS: If you already have the ADA8000 just use it mate. It's not as good as your RME is but it will do the job.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  11. Robertjackson

Robertjackson Member

I've had my ADA8000 for 17 years (3 of them in the rack underneath my mixing console here)... It's the older model. I use it going into a Presonus FireStudio Lightpipe (also an older piece). I've recorded many albums, live shows, podcasts, voiceovers, and It's been reliable and sounds great. I imagine the ADA82000 is even better! Good luck!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I have a Presonus Digimax LT that I use when I need more than the two available in my old Babyface (still great after 7 years of service). The Digimax preamps are good, not super clean and with a smooth high end. I just saw this one for sale on Reverb for cheap. I bought mine for even cheaper.

[​IMG]

PreSonus Digimax LT 8-Channel Mic Preamp https://reverb.com/item/31005928-pr...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=31005928

13. emmepicsd

emmepicsd Member

I have a Behringer ADA8200 and IMHO it works fine!

14. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Because there's not much upgrade. They changed the power supply from a heavy transformer-based one to a switchmode. This means it works all around the world and it can be much lighter. I think the preamps themselves were changed a bit as well, at least in terms of noise. But the differences are minimal and if you already have the 8000, you should probably worry about making music instead of looking up gear.

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I've used both ADA8000 and ADA8200 along with my Babyface Pro. It works!

16. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

how does it compare to the pre & ADDA quality of an Apogee MiniME and/or a PrismAudio Lyra 1 ?