RME Babyface Pro vs Motu Ultralite Mk4

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Djoezie, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Djoezie

Djoezie Newbie

Im also thining about the UC instead of the babyface. Let's say my budget is around €1000.
    Whats the big difference between the UC and UCX?

2. TW

TW Guest

The main differnce is that the Ucx has dsp effects, comp, eq and reverb and a slightly better more modern converter design from 2011.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Exactly what @TW wrote, + the UCX does both firewire and USB (and I think 2 added lines in), which is something I wanted (my previous Focusrite was Firewire). Finaly when I bought it the UCX had included what has now become the optional remote control, which is formidable and very practical, I never touch the main interface which is racked on my desk with my other hw.
    That's why I wrote before regarding the added (dsp) fxs that you get with the UCX that you may want to be sure that you need those (lot of live tracking, the need to relieve your computer from too much processing, etc.), for me tbh it wasn't really the case.
    The converter is actually, on paper, what motivated me, but since I've never tested the UC beside the theorical difference I'll probably never know if I did the right choice. Well for the remote alone I did do the right choice, but that's now ancient history, and the RME official remote became damn hard to find online (at least in France, a few friends who bought it recently are kind of jealous of my remote lol), RME makes another one though not just linked to the UCX, I don't know if it also work with the UC model....Plus albeit good quality (a big metalic remote) it's pretty expensive if I remember well (and I do, it's 130€ on most sites I found it on).

That's the one they now sell separatly : http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/arc_usb.php

This is the one they used to include (shittier quality yes, but free) : http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/advanced_remote.php

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. There isn't a great difference in sound quality between the UFX, UCX and UC. The UFX II has a signal to noise ratio a few dB better than the UCX or UC but it isn't really something that we can hear. The coolest thing about the UFX is the ability to record to a memory stick which is incredibly useful if shit goes south and your computer crashes in the middle of recording. Just get whatever your input need is and if you need fx in the recording path itself. The RME drivers are what I love about the whole lot of them

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List