RME Babyface and Subpac?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by linkfergu, Mar 9, 2021.

1. linkfergu

linkfergu Noisemaker

I have some questions about my RME Babyface pro I am hoping you can help me answer.

Basically I have a new subpac ordered, just the subpac itself not the new C1. I am also not very well versed with TotalMix FX but know its powerful, so I am not sure if this issue has to do with that.

What I am wondering, is I want to use sonarworks ideally with my Headphones on and subpac on (subpac plugged into RME headphone out, and headphone amp in other headphone out and Headphones on that -- monitors on the rear outs of RME).

From what I can tell I only get one phones output to both jacks on the RME and monitors are separate, so what comes out for my Headphones comes out for my subpac, which means they will both be affected by sonarworks. (Otherwise I would split outputs to them like suggested).

How can I accomplish splitting these up without buying another interface? I am not super well versed in audio gear, is there a converter or something I can buy that won't be insanely expensive?

There also comes another issue about turning the system up as a whole, so when my subpac is on and I want to hear everything louder, a main control that would turn phones and subpac up together, and at the same time monitors (assuming I have them on at that time?). I assume I could always turn up ableton master fader but I am thinking about a mixing situation where I want to keep that level locked and use a hardware override. (The main knob of the RME seems to switch volume control based on what output is selected so when I want to do speakers with subpac I feel like there is some sorcery involved? -- as I do speakers then have hit output select, then phones + subpac separately)

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

That's easy (to do)
    1. in TotalMix make Groups visible (expand by clicking on the triangle, if not already visible)
    2. click on Edit
    3. select a number below Fader (1 - 4)
    4. click on any fader, so that they change the colour according to the number (1 - 4)
    5. click again on Edit, done
    Make sure the faders have the correct relative position because they'll be moved with this offset.

This works as long as the Group is active. When you click on it again, it's deactivated and you can move the faders separately.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  4. linkfergu

linkfergu Noisemaker

Thanks a lot for that, will work very well. In case anyone stumbles across the same issue : for the rest of the issue RME basically suggested a cheap dac to use on the spdif out for the subpac by itself. I was feeling pretty bitter about not buying an Apollo twin before that suggestion.