Ripped Off By One of My Influences. Not Feeling Great.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ltjbukum, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Blu

Blu Producer

You should be happy for the fact that he did even bothered to answer you.
    I don't want to be rude but to think that he stole your song is frankly ridiculous and you may benefit from a rude statement like this one in order to understand that you may be too much self-oriented to think that you've been ripped off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. good!

good! Guest

100% if you sent him/her/it the song, they totally copied your shit. but really, the biggest thief in all of this is youtube (and let me guess, youre on spotify too :suicide:). theyre the ones doing the thieving, making the cash from BOTH of you and not paying either of you a fn penny.

3. ziked

ziked Producer

A guy impersonating LTJ Bukum online, upset he can't afford to sue someone that influenced his style, for vaguely similar, non-copyrightable chord progression...

Have you considered maybe you're the one who copies people? If he is your influence, don't be surprised that you and him might sound vaguely similar by pure coindicence.

The truth is people come up with similar things independently all the time, it's not some conspiracy, there's only so many combinations of standard chords.

Edit: Those aren't even the same chords bro. It's not even in the same key. You can't own a monopoly on a particular tempo of a chord rhythm on a guitar. I think you got narcissism.

And 300 views? He never heard it before bro.

How many of those people understand music theory and aren't just random friends who are just trying to be nice, or think overly plainly, "they are similar sounding acoustic guitars therefore obviously he ripped u off bro"?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  4. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Please let this same thing happen to me... Please let this same exact thing happen to me

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

_.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Look at the situation realistically. You start out with 2 choices.
    1) Do something about it, or
    2) Don't

Now. Choice number 1 is out because as you say, you cannot afford to do anything about it.

Which leaves only choice number 2.

Now. You can either continue to stew and hurt over it, OR, you could put it to your advantage. Take HIS finished song, and change it slightly to make your own.. That way when he takes you to court over copyright, you merely put in a counter claim, and Your counter claim would be :- I was merely taking back what was mine!

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

People have similar ideas all the time. Those musicologists working for the Estate of Marvin Gaye have come up with some laughable comparisons. At least in those instances, money is involved. I think most of the ones about drums and rhythms are some serious stretches of the imagination. That Churchill sample is in this one. I wonder how you clear such a sample.

8. Just to reinforces this. Even if he did hear it, borrowing of ideas/chords/motifs from others is common across all genres. It's how music evolves and has happened for thousands of years. Classical has a long history of reinterpretation. It's happening everyday. It's a vital tool for learning and creating.

We wouldn't have got John Williams Star Wars soundtrack if he hadn't borrow many aspects of Holsts The Planets. Both are brilliant. And others have since borrowed from Williams scores.

All new music is a conversation with the past and your influences.

9. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

Not a single person on earth complained that Yngwie J. Malmsteen in 1983 claimed in stone to write Abinoni's Adagio note for note, among a shitload of other famous classical compositions, on his first Rising Force album. Clearly he wrote none of this, but the music kept going all the same.

10. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

That one is in the public domain. I would use it when appropriate and dare anyone to sue.

11. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

op, you should host an audiosex sample flipping contest, and have us all flip your song.

12. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Jesus Christ I must've played this riff 4.000 times already the past 20 years.

Sorry bud, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Oh, almost like Creative Commons. That makes sense. Some stuff like that though, is actually copyright material, because someone actually owns the original recording. Some Orson Wells things, as an example.

14. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

Generally, yes. But the deeper - the older - it gets, the less likely a threat exists. If it is political, for instance, and stated to the public by a public figure, well...

I tend to use those. They can crush people. You can stop the toughest bloke with a political trope. Like they are stone fuking retarded. It's pretty hilarious.

15. Blu

Blu Producer

He didn't send him the song