RIP the great Holger Czukay

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by BudSpencer, Sep 7, 2017.

1. BudSpencer

BudSpencer Producer

One of the greatest colossus. I absolutely adore his solo work! And the masterpieces he produced with Can will outlive us all. Rest in Peace, professor!

This album is an absolute masterpiece, way, way WAY ahead of its time. (It blends incongruent samples way before "mash-up" was even a thing). Of particular note are the songs "Sudetenland", mixing space grooves and the vocal harmonies from Bulgaria; and, also, "Blessed Easter", which fuses a mass "sung" by the Pope John Paul II and a drunken shuffle rhythm. Awesome album, by an awesome composer and investigator!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

RIP.

4. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Who's that bloke playing the french horn?

5. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Some of the stuff he produced with Conny Plank was fairly out-there too.

6. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

damn! I am getting really sick of this! he was such a talent and visionary!

7. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

:( strange , wiki says

Czukay's body was discovered inside his apartment on 5 September 2017. The actual date and cause of death is currently unknown, and is subject to a police investigation.[3]

8. Grandy

Grandy Member

For years Holger and his wife were living in a apartment owned by my friend. Somewhere at the end of July my friend told me that Holger's wife died and that he was afraid for Holger because he was really close to his wife and they were dependent of each other. He told me how they loved each other and how they were legends in Germany, i didnt heard of Holger before but when i googled about him i realised that. In the next few days i will be in touch with my friend and i will post here more info

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Grandy

Grandy Member

Best Answer
    Spoke to my friend today, he and his friend found Holger dead in his apartment in Cologne. After the news broke journalists from almost every major media in Germany went there. I asked if there was some equipment left in his studio but there was none as Holger sold much of it 20 years ago. He said that one dj from London contacted him because there are some demo and some unreleased recordings left in his studio but everything is taken by police and will be given to Holgers brother and sister, he doesnt know what will happen after. Funeral is on Thursday, some very popular artists have announced that they will attend it, he said that even Red Hot Chilli Peppers or member from their team will attend. Its such a loss but he said that after Holgers wife died he cried almost every day and its probably the best thing for Holger that he left too because he was very old and weak...

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. BudSpencer

BudSpencer Producer

Thanks for the update, @Grandy ! Holger was, is and will forever be a monumental influence in music and arts. We'll miss him, but his music will guide us for many years more!