RIP Rusty

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by safran5020, Mar 29, 2018.

1. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

upload_2018-3-29_8-57-49.png

As a former baseball player, when I was a kid, Rusty was my idole. I have seen him play at the Montreal Expos Home parc "Le Parc Jarry" in the 70ies.

He was one of the greates home run bater.

Besides, we share the same color :bleh:. Kids in school used to call me Rusty !

Today I remember my youth with a special thought for you my hero!

• Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I've never watched baseball ,so I have no idea who that is, but it was a fitting tribute Safran!

4. Rusty was GREAT! Both on the field and off he was a class guy. He was a huge reason my 1973 Mets won the series. In the National League Playoffs that year, that greatest of assholes, Pete Rose, tried to hurt Bud Harrelson when he tried to break up the double play in the top if the 5th, both benches emptied out and for the next 10 minutes there was mayhem. When play once again resumed, Met fans threw all the trash they could find at Rose all alone out there in left field, but when a whisky bottle nearly took his head off Rose got the hell outta Dodge. The team might have forfeited the game and the 9-2 lead if not had NL commissioner Charlie Feeny not asked for Cleon Jones, Tom Seaver, manager Yogi Berra, Willie Mays and...Rusty Staub to ask the crowd to calm down so that the city could hold the pennant. I'll always remember that. RIP Rusty Dusty!

5. tvandlover

tvandlover Producer

I think we call it 'rounders' in England

6. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

[​IMG]

He played for my NY Mets! I enjoyed watching him slug the ball! He joined my team after we won the World Series in 69' and retired from the Mets in 85' just before we won it again in 86'. Always thought that was a shame. I used to have his bat. :) Wow, he brings back forgotten memories.

May he Rest In Peace.

7. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I thought Rusty Day of Cactus had died again. :dunno: On a more serious note, baseball fans seem to feel this loss profoundly. :mates:

God rest his soul (or however you name the powers above us).

Let’s use the chance to remeber a great band:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. safran5020

Daniel Joseph "Rusty" Staub (April 1, 1944 – March 29, 2018) was an American professional baseball right fielder, designated hitter, and first baseman. He played in Major League Baseball for 23 years with five different teams. He was an original member of the Montreal Expos and that team's first star; though the Expos traded him after only three years, his enduring popularity led them to retire his number in 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Staub

upload_2018-3-29_14-58-52.png

He was supposed to be in Montreal for an exhibition game between the Blue Jays and the Cardinals earlier this week as a guess star.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  9. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I feard for a moment that you are talking about Rusty Cooley

10. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

RIP. The 1969 Met's were the real Met's.

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I think I have some of his baseball cards in my collection somewhere.

12. '86 was fun with all the speed, cocaine and alcohol that they consumed, and with fighting cops after the staff at some bar in Houston tried to close up and Ron Darling and Tim Teuful getting their asses kicked. My dog waited exactly to the second for the Mets to win the World Series that year over the Red Socks to have her 11 puppies in the closet of my studio. The first puppy born I named Mookie Wilson.

But yes, 1969 was the year...as well as for the Knicks, Rangers and of course Nameth and the Jets. It was the best sports year that the city ever had, and as a 10 year old and totality into it, collecting cards and going to as many games that I could get my Dad to take me to (my Dad's company had season tickets for every team), I was in seventh heaven.

Rusty was luckily gone by then and wouldn't have liked playing there that year, bless his soul.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. safran5020

@superliquidsunshine

Shit man, that video really moved me, this is the least I can say. Remembering so many great moments of my youth...
    Thanks for this archived treasure :wink::mates:

14. Rusty was one of the greats. He didn't seem to be the most athletic, graceful or speedy guy out there in the field but always got a jump on the ball and so had great instincts. Just think about this, after only four seasons with the Astros they retired his number. That says volumes about his worth as a person as well as his abilities.