RIP JEFF BECK - The greatest guitarist of the world.

Discussion in 'AudioSEX Memorial' started by Caldera, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

rest in peace but to be honest i never was into his playing,for sure he was one of the best but not the best

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

For most of us it's true but not for Jeff Beck. He definitely made his dent in the Universe.
    That may be so. I can't really judge it. And it changes with taste of the audience. My taste isn't the same as it was in the 70ies. So I don't believe in "the best" anyway {if one only takes pure technique for judging, a computer may be "the best" today :) }

But there are no more artists (quality of playing on an instrument) of this quality. Not because there is no talent, but the current artists are very quickly satisfied with themselves and virtually artistically retire at 30. While the old guard has progressed well into their 50s and in some cases even 70s. But I know I'm biased.

3. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice Kapellmeister

Such sad news.
    I am always stunned when I see and hear, what beautiful sounds he playes, with one thumb on his stratocaster. Epic.
    True human skin , a volume pot -and most of all : Skill , -made him Legend.
    -If tones were colors - Jeff Beck saw them all.

Rest in Peace

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Arguments can (and will) be made about whether he was the best, or greatest- I respected and enjoyed his playing but he wasn't even in my top ten personal favorite guitarists. What is pretty undeniable though on an objective level is how influential and important he was. He, along with Jimi, Jimmy and Ritchie and a few others defined what modern rock guitar was moving out of the American 50s founding of the genre. He dared to try and do instrumental rock guitar driven music as if he were a jazz guy, founding a genre. BTW my favorite album of his by far is the often overlooked There And Back.

5. notrace

notrace Producer

OP, Your title should be revised to Jeff Beck - One of the greatest guitarists in the world.

6. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

As others have stated perhaps he was not the absolute best guitarist, because no matter how good you are there is always going to be someone better. The main fact is that Beck inspired so many guitarists worldwide, this is his real legacy. He was always evolving in his musical repertoire and influences showing just how adaptable and versatile he could be. Music styles and genres change but true musicians are dedicated to their muse. RIP Jeff

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. BiG Pluck

BiG Pluck Kapellmeister

I discovered Jeff Beck when I was 14 in 1978. I was in my second year learning Bass Guitar. At that point I was listening to a lot of Progressive Jazz Fusion. Stanley Clark, Chick Corea, Jeff Lorber Fusion, George Duke, Billy Cobham, Lenny White, you name it. I was introduced to Jeff Beck's Wired Album. When I was putting together my first Funk Band in 1980 I had to cover Come Dancing from that Album. Jeff was such a Funky MoFo! with his natural finger pluckin' & that Fender Rhodes jazzing' things up me & my drummer laid down the funk, My guitarist the great Carl Burnett could play anything and my horn section brought the dynamics. Playing that track Come Dancing made me to be known as the guy who stood out from the average sound of bands around the Washington, DC area. Because I incorporated elements from many genres while everyone else stayed true to the big name funk bands that were surely dying out during the new decade.
    Thanx Jeff Beck Rest In Power my Brother!

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Jan Hammer + Jeff Beck Perform ‘Star Cycle’ Live