RIP JEFF BECK - The greatest guitarist of the world.

Discussion in 'AudioSEX Memorial' started by Caldera, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

As a teenager I listened to hundreds of hours of Wired and Blow By Blow and was always blown away

The music never dies.

RIP

He was great until the end, this in September of last year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Goodbye pork pie hat by Jeff Beck, a master piece of guitar. So much expression and feeling...
    He never felt in the commercial path, he played what he wanted like he wanted. A true Artist.
    Also, he was often generously pushing new talents.

Rest in peace Master Jeff Beck. We will do our best to honor your giant heritage.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I say this with utmost respect: The man was a true guitar hero.

RIP.

4. adrian

adrian Ultrasonic

a great piece of rock history, stay here with your vinyls
    RIP

5. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

We were blessed by Jeff's wonderful gift of musical expression for many decades and he was still on top form just before died, still gigging and releasing new music. RIP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thanks Jeff for enriching the music world!

Jeff Beck - Earthquake

Jeff Beck - Roy's Toy

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I had the radio on this morning no mention of his passing. I would have expected at the very least, tributes from other famous musicians as they normally would when a legend passes away.
    Very sad.

8. jeremingway

jeremingway Noisemaker

RIP JEFF BECK ONE OF THE BIGGEST Jeff Beck
    Legendary rock guitarist Jeff Beck dies aged 78
    Beck rose to fame with the Yardbirds before fronting the Jeff Beck Group and making forays into the jazz-fusion sound he pioneered
    my album to start one of my guitar hero[​IMG]
    Jeff Beck on stage in Atlanta in 2018.
    Jeff Beck, the celebrated guitarist who played with the Yardbirds and led the Jeff Beck Group, has died aged 78, his representative has confirmed.
    Beck died on Tuesday after “suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis”, the representative confirmed. “His family ask for privacy while they process this tremendous loss,” they added.
    Heart full of soul: the maverick genius of Jeff Beck, the ‘guitarist’s guitarist’ Alexis Petridis
    Often described as one of the greatest guitarists of all time, Beck – whose fingers and thumbs were famously insured for £7m – was known as a keen innovator.
    He pioneered jazz-rock, experimented with fuzz and distortion effects and paved the way for heavier subgenres such as psych rock and heavy metal over the course of his career.
    He was an eight-time Grammy winner, recipient of the Ivor Novello for outstanding contribution to British music and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame both as a solo artist and as a member of the Yardbirds.
    Musicians and longtime friends began paying tribute minutes after the news broke. On Twitter, Jimmy Page wrote, “The six stringed Warrior is no longer here for us to admire the spell he could weave around our mortal emotions. Jeff could channel music from the ethereal. His technique unique. His imaginations apparently limitless. Jeff I will miss you along with your millions of fans.”
    “With the death of Jeff Beck we have lost a wonderful man and one of the greatest guitar players in the world,” Mick Jagger wrote. “We will all miss him so much.”
    Rod Stewart, who toured with the Jeff Beck Group in the late 60s, called him “one of the few guitarists that when playing live would actually listen to me sing and respond ... you were the greatest, my man. Thank you for everything.”
    Gene Simmons called it “heartbreaking news … no one played guitar like Jeff. Please get ahold of the first two Jeff Beck Group albums and behold greatness. RIP.”
    “Now Jeff has gone, I feel like one of my band of brothers has left this world, and I’m going to dearly miss him,” Ronnie Wood tweeted.
    Ozzy Osbourne tweeted, “I can’t express how saddened I am to hear of Jeff Beck’s passing. What a terrible loss for his family, friends & his many fans. It was such an honour to have known Jeff and an incredible honor to have had him play on my most recent album.”
    Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour wrote, “I am devastated to hear the news of the death of my friend and hero Jeff Beck, whose music has thrilled and inspired me and countless others for so many years … He will be forever in our hearts.”
    Johnny Marr called him “a pioneer and one of the all time greats”, while Whitesnake’s David Coverdale wrote, “Oh, My Heart … RIP, Jeff … I miss you already”.
    The Kinks’ Dave Davies tweeted, “I’m heartbroken he looked in fine shape to me. Playing great he was in great shape. I’m shocked and bewildered … it don’t make sense I don’t get it. He was a good friend and a great guitar player.”
    The Jeff Beck Group in the late 60s: (L-R) Rod Stewart, Ron Wood, Mickey Waller and Jeff Beck.
    The Jeff Beck Group in the late 60s: (L-R) Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Mickey Waller and Jeff Beck.
    ---------
    Beck was born Geoffrey Beck in 1944, in Wallington, south London. As a child, he sang in a church choir, and began playing guitar as a teenager, getting his first instrument after trying to dupe a music store in a hire-purchase scheme. “There was this guy, he wasn’t old enough to be my dad but he offered to be my guarantor. He said, ‘I’ll tell them I’m your stepfather’,” he told the New Statesman in 2016. “Within a month, they’d sussed out he was nothing to do with me whatsoever and they snatched the guitar back. My dad went along and explained that we couldn’t afford it – so they waived the rest of the payments and I got the guitar.”
    After briefly attending art school in London, Beck began playing with Screaming Lord Sutch until, after Eric Clapton left the Yardbirds, Jimmy Page recommended Beck as his replacement. Although already successful by that time, the Yardbirds had many of their biggest hits during Beck’s short tenure in the band, including the 1966 album Yardbirds and the No 3 single Shapes of Things. Beck was only in the Yardbirds for 20 months, leaving the group in 1966 due to inter-band tensions that had arisen during a US tour. (Later, he would say that “every day was a hurricane in the Yardbirds”.)
    In 1968, Beck released Truth, his debut solo album, which drew on blues and hard rock to form a prototypical version of heavy metal. One year later, he released an album with the Jeff Beck Group, Beck-Ola but had his solo career derailed after he suffered a head injury in a car accident.
    In 1970, after recovering from his skull fracture, Beck formed a new incarnation of the Jeff Beck Group, and released two records – 1971’s Rough and Ready and 1972’s Jeff Beck Group – which displayed his earliest forays into the jazz fusion sound he would become known for.
    In the mid-70s, Beck supported John McLaughlin’s jazz-rock group Mahavishnu Orchestra on tour, an experience that radically changed how he saw music. “Watching [McLaughlin] and the sax player trading solos, I thought, ‘This is me’,” he said in 2016.
    Inspired, Beck embraced jazz fusion fully on the George Martin-produced Blow By Blow. A platinum-selling hit in the US which peaked at No 4, it was Beck’s most commercially successful album ever, but he later expressed regret. “I shouldn’t have done Blow By Blow,” he told Guitar Player in 1990. “I wish I had stayed with earthy rock’n’roll. When you’re surrounded with very musical people like Max Middleton and Clive Chaman, you’re in a prison, and you have to play along with that.”
    Jeff Beck on stage in London in 1972.
    Despite his later feelings about Blow By Blow, Beck continued to experiment throughout the 70s, releasing another platinum-selling jazz fusion album, Wired, in 1976, and There and Back, in 1980.
    Beck’s output slowed dramatically in the 80s, in part due to his suffering from tinnitus. His projects through the decade were sporadic but notable: in 1981, he performed with Clapton, Sting and Phil Collins at Amnesty International’s Secret Policeman’s Other Ball benefit concerts, and returned with his first solo album in five years, Flash, in 1985. Produced by Chic’s Nile Rodgers, it presented a dramatic shift for Beck in that it primarily featured vocal-led pop tracks, a change from his largely instrumental 70s output. People Get Ready, a collaboration with Rod Stewart, became one of Beck’s rare hit singles under his own name, charting in the US, New Zealand, Sweden, Belgium and Switzerland.
    The 1989 album Jeff Beck’s Guitar Shop was his last solo album for a decade, but he remained active through the 90s, collaborating with Jon Bon Jovi, Kate Bush and Roger Waters, among others; in 1999, he released Who Else, which incorporated techno and electronic elements.
    In the 2000s and 2010s, Beck only released a handful of albums, but began to settle into his role as an elder statesman and lauded influence, performing with artists such as Kelly Clarkson and Joss Stone. He has lived on an East Sussex estate since 1976, and married his sixth wife, Sandra Cash, in 2005.
    Beck’s most recent project was last year’s 18, a collaborative album with Johnny Depp that featured original songs penned by Depp and covers of Marvin Gaye, the Velvet Underground and other classic artists. The album was widely panned; in a two-star review, the Guardian’s Michael Hann described it as a “peculiar and hugely uneven record,” while noting that “it’s to Beck’s credit that alone among the guitar heroes of the 1960s UK R&B boom, he has not retreated into coffee-table blues.”
    This article was amended on 12 January 2023, to correct the year Beck-Ola was released.
    … we have a small favour to ask. Millions are turning to the Guardian for open, independent, quality news every day, and readers in 180 countries around the world now support us financially.
    We believe everyone deserves access to information that’s grounded in science and truth, and analysis rooted in authority and integrity. That’s why we made a different choice: to keep our reporting open for all readers, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay. This means more people can be better informed, united, and inspired to take meaningful action.
    In these perilous times, a truth-seeking global news organisation like the Guardian is essential. We have no shareholders or billionaire owner, meaning our journalism is free from commercial and political influence – this makes us different.
    When it’s never been more important, our independence allows us to fearlessly investigate, challenge and expose those in power.

9. burgvogt

burgvogt Kapellmeister

Rest in peace, what a loss for the world of music. I was lucky enough to see him live at the Vienna Opera House. An unforgettable concert.

10. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Just saw this. I really thought he was going to be one of those people who would live forever :sad: One of the finest musicians to ever have walked this earth, and probably the reason why the electric guitar became such an important instrument for a wide variety of music genres.

11. ElecTrick

ElecTrick Producer

A very sad day for all musicians. :(

My condolences for their family and friends. :mates:

R.I.P. Jeff, God bless you 4ever. :bow:

12. Kundalini

Kundalini Kapellmeister

R.I.P Giant, you'll be missed.

13. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

exactly my thought

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I had no idea that Stevie Wonder played keyboards uncredited on Thelonius. Besides Beck of course flying higher than the moon on Wired, it is also amazing keyboard playing throughout the album by Max Middleton who is a great, great player (as well the rhythm section of Phil Chen and Richard Bailey). Sir George Martin produced and orchestrated the album.

15. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

I don't believe this. It's fake news. Jeff Beck lives.

16. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

In my lifetime there were only a few great guitarists that influenced me, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix and Gary Moore. Sure there are/were many other good guitarists and then there are the "others" who I consider just a flash in the pan, and there are many of them because without their multiple racks loaded up full of FX and processors that most working guitarists simply cannot afford, they are just average and simply clones of each other. Then there are other notable greats who could hold their own in any venue but didn't always get quite enough recognition Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

And then forgotten in two months:(

Live your life folks, it's for you.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Oh no.
    IDK if he was the best Guitarrist as I'm no guitar player but every time I heard or saw him in my youth play I was stunnded, a human being could do this! :beg:

Requiescat in pacem.

19. Wilberforce

Wilberforce Member

Hard to believe he's gone. An incredible musician who spoke through his instrument in a way few others have (or likely will) I remember hearing 'Where Were You' (from 'Guitar Shop') just after it came out and thinking that no one else on the planet could have played that (and thought up the guitar techniques behind it) An innovater in the true sense of the word. We'll not see his like again....

20. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

P.S.: Rick Beato - a not exactly modest contemporary ;) - has almost tears in his eyes from humility and enthusiasm - Anyway, this made me listen to old recordings of J.B. some time ago. Ab-so-lu-tely lovely.

Why Jeff Beck is uncopyable:

Woah. A music half-god died. :snuffy: