Rig Building_Best Gear to Compliment Ableton Live for Live Performance

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by analog61, Apr 10, 2016.

1. analog61

analog61 Member

Hi,
    I putting together a live rig for performance using Ableton Live and Resolume Arena Video software.
    Getting a Mac Pro Laptop w/ SSD for the main computer (my client requested mac).
    Need advice /opinions on which gear is currently best for live shows (clubs to festivals)

A/D_ I/O , USB mixer, Video Projector and any other gear I may need.

The act is a performance duo currently, so we need reliable, compact top line gear.

All advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

3. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

I'd honestly look at building in some kind of redundancy right from the start, something to fall back on if the worst thing that could possibly happen, happens. It's obviously going to be more expensive, but being fearful that whatever you're using is going to fail means you won't give your best performance. You'll be pre-occupied with whatever it is and you'll quite possibly overlook something else you'd have spotted if your attention wasn't focussed on the thing you're worried about. Silence and a crowd that's rapidly losing patience is something you want to avoid at all costs, believe me if you haven't experienced it.

Research what other similar acts are using. Ask them about it, most people are open if approached the right way and are as geeky as the rest of us about their gear.

Buy things that are tried, tested and trusted rather than being the newest. It may be a couple of years old, but hopefully that means all the bugs have been ironed out and whatever it is has developed a reputation for being trustworthy or not.

Look at the manufacturer of the equipment you're buying from, if their products are used extensively across the world and what their customer service/support is like. Try and steer clear of 'boutique' and/or small scale manufacturers, they're OK in studio environments where alternatives are readily available, you want shire horses not show ponies for live work.

Try and cultivate a relationship with someone in the company. There'll be people solely employed to look after artists if they're a decent sized company that sell products used in the entertainment industry.[and get to know who their distributor is, especially if you're going to be touring somewhere a long way from home or even abroad].

Explain what you're doing as an artist to them, ask for advice. Maybe even do a YouTube review of their gear or your whole rig or something, try to get noticed. Mention their name in interviews. Scratch their back in the hope of reciprocation and that they'll be supportive and you'll get a replacement delivered quickly if something develops a fault or you need some support. [Honestly, this is a good idea, a colleague once had such a good relationship with MOTU that if something he was using of theirs fell over he'd have a replacement delivered within 24 hours, worldwide, it saved his ass a few times.]

Your rig is ultimately a balancing act. It has to be sleek and streamlined enough for you to provide a performance without getting confused about what's doing what. But it can't be so simple and streamlined that it doesn't have some room for flexibility and that everything is running at the limit of its capabilities.

[Sorry I can't be more specific about what to buy, but I know nothing about video software etc. I did used to work for a few electronic acts that played live and the points I've made are from my experience of doing that.]

4. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Great topic.
    Solid advice from @nastybobby above!

Figuring out what you guys want to archive and then look at the needs and find suiteable products that fit within your budget.

have a backup plan and pieces of gear ready for WHEN your gear will either break or just "not work" when you are at a gig. it WILL happend.
    That also includes having spare USB flashdrives with your all your files. 2nd controller ready, backupHD, soundcard, cables. CABLES - mucho important :D

i recall reading on djtechtools.com some great articles on tips for DJing/performing.

also, i would also advice you guys to practice your performnces and work out all the "kinks" that may happend. Treat it like a band. You have to reherse in advance :)

Best of luck

5. recycle

recycle Guest

Choosing the right video projector for your show, ask yourself:

• what’s the distance between source and screen?
    • How big the image should be?
    • indoor or outdoor?
    • what is the llumination intensity of the enviroment?

in general:
    • a home theather in a dark room needs 3.000 lumen
    • a presentation meeting in a (not so bright) small hall needs 9.000 lumen
    • a night outdoor 3D mapping on buildings needs 30.000 lumen

here you can see the specsheets of a heavy duty video projector:

https://www.barco.com/en/Specsheets/8ad61473-4a20-4492-a5d2-6dca7c8b4076/XLM-HD30.pdf

I rented this beast for an outdoor videoshow, it’s amazing! (30.000 lumens, 6.3 Kw)