Richie Hawtin push a monitor into a fan recording his set

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zeus, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

1 Dec 2014
    Techno veteran Richie Hawtin took out a female punter with a large monitor.

Hawtin was playing at New York City’s Time Warp event when he appeared to take exception to a fan recording his set on an iPhone. At around 45 seconds into the video below, you see Hawtin push one of his large monitors straight into the girl as she attempts to film him.

Ha said it was an accident rather than an uncalled-for reaction to her filming but it really doesn't look like it. Nobody likes a phone thrust in their face, but taking someone out with a huge speaker is a bit much.

The eager videographer was reportedly uninjured. Her iPhone screen didn't crack either.

You can see he clearly pushes the monitor at 0:40

Update: Hawtin has now apologized for the incident on his Facebook page, as pointed out by Resident Advisor:

What a dick...

3. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

Richie Hawton is a fraud . period.

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

:rofl: was an accident and i believe in santa.

but on the other hand, look how mug shooting the gurl is :D
    uff and terrible those festivals ... *no*

5. uber909

uber909 Member

The guy hurts a girl, he's a cunt alright, but what about everybody else here ? Nobody to give him a little slap on the cheek ?

I guess the Facebook generation is just a bunch of cowards...

6. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

Why would you pay to go record your favorite artist with your iphone. You dont go to your local club to watch ur local dj play music. You go to listen to him play music while you enjoy urself dancing n paying no mind to the Dj at all. I dont see how any of these festivals are any different. Im tired of looking at all these zombies at festivals doing nothing but starring at the Dj

7. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

lordie, uhmm... something happen there? i think not.
    when you are at a gig and up against the bins you shouldn't be surprised things like this happen.
    yes, hawtin is a bit of a poser and a silky boy but that was not even a push.. i thought he would have at least lifted it over his head. just a limp little petite, slightly gay? push.. bless.
    i saw lemmy throw a very large bass bin at someone once, now there is a real man ( or was, this was 20 odd years ago, i know he is an oap now and not allowed to drink anymore)
    what a load of trivial shee-yite. oh, and he is severely over rated, apart from marbles which is a stone cold classic aceeeeeed choooonnnn
    ai

8. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

What an eye-roller ...
    [​IMG]

... Hawtin filming Hilton from a save spot ...
    [​IMG]

... as t-shirt? ...
    [​IMG]

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

ROFLMAO

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'd do the same thing, any time. :snuffy: And people made a huge thing out of nothing. Now we're judging people for pushing other people around? What if he farted at her? We'd be judging him for that, too? "Oh poor girl, that scumbag farted at her! He should be fined or something!" I really can't see any issue here. And nobody was hurt, except for the monitor speaker, maybe. :bleh:

All artists more or less hate being recorded at concerts with the bloody phones, and it's of no use anyway. I mean, take a photo or two, or three, but otherwise enjoy the show. That kind of behaviour actually goes on nerves of some people in the crowd, too. Youtube is full of sub par quality shit videos like this and it is often hard to find a good quality video due to that. :sad:

I personally never record anything at concerts. I just take a photo of a great moment here and there and just enjoy the show. :wink:

11. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It's a plague.

[​IMG]

12. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

You know.. Hawtin gross for a single night is $60.000.

For that price, he MUST bear with people recording him, farting, or even vomiting on top of his decks.

He has become a star thanks to those that record him, spread the sessions through inet and talk about him.

It's part of the Job. The girl was doing nothing but recording, something that happens in every single live act, electronic or not.

I find more disgusting people that make requests or start to talk at the DJ while he is trying the beat-match something.

sideshowbob RFLMAO! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

13. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

You know, if recording would still be some act of devotion, or an expression that this particular performance is something that is so great it's worth to be kept for a future time, it would be something different.
    But it's not like that anymore. People just point their stupid phones at everything that comes across, like mindless zombies.
    If you're up there, you want to know if people like what you do. No, you need to know. It's impossible to interact with a crowd that's absorbed by the screens of their phones. I miss the days when people came to you and talked your ears off with requests and drunk remarks. Of fellow DJs (probably also drunk ;) ) wiseassing you about what record they would have played etc. But that's what you have to deal with and it's ok, at least there is interaction and it's lively.
    Now, they just point a phone at you and you only can guess what they're feeling. It's frustrating and I can understand Richie in this matter. Yes, he should have asked the girl to stop, and if she didn't the best option would have been to ask security to make sure she stops.
    I mean, just count the phones you can see in that video. It's absolutely crazy! What is wrong with those people?

14. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Who's Richie Hawtin?

Oh, a techno veteran... Yeah, whatever.

Other than that, it depends on what you think is more rude. :bleh:

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

but what is the sense to stand there at the stage, not to dance, only hold your egg-phone(pretty sure it was one) and record hawtin? i am not defending him, it stupid enough what he did and he should have thought about hurting here that way, but why in the hell was she there? i still see no sense in going to festival and be there to get drunk, get more drunk, record everything with a phone and hear nothing from the actual music? ok she was not drunk, but she was doing nothing.

bonus question: why was she that close on the stage? where is the security? has the security not failed? or maybe the whole story is set up, to give hawtin more publicity?
    i mean where is ranked on djfag voting?

16. Rolma

Rolma Guest

How is it called this type of performance?

Beyond all the distances, it recalls me a sequence from Requiem for a dream involving cocaine and two girls that might lead to something like that, obviously the mother on pills is the perfect audience ever!

17. uber909

uber909 Member

More rude? Well, she could be your daughter... and she could have died!
    How rude is that? :rofl:

18. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

In that case, I hope she would have recieved a good spanking when she got home for filming other people without their consent. lol

19. lukie

lukie Newbie

Next time you are in the UK Mr Hawtin, Don't moan when someone knocks you the fuck out! :snuffy:

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

:rofl:

[​IMG]

You know, I do use a smartphone, but this is sooo pathetic. One has to know when to use it and when to just turn it off and toss it into your pocket. :snuffy:

21. relexted

relexted Producer

I now, have even more respect for mister hawtin. Fucking groupies.