Rhythmic Robot release PLATTER – a vintage vinyl synthesiser

Discussion in 'Software News' started by davea, Sep 4, 2015.

1. davea

davea Platinum Record

Platter: the timewarped vinyl-disc synthesiser

Forgotten offspring of a Birotron and a Solina...

This is what happens when you leave a crusty old disc-replay machine like a Birotron and an early string synthesiser like a Solina alone in an attic for fifty years: a bastardised hybrid lovechild with all the mojo of crackly vinyl discs but also its mother's singing, sweet string-synth tone.
    Platter
    is a complex, ancient-sounding three-oscillator sound machine imbued with the cyclic hiss and warp of old 78rpm records, ready to bring its black-and-white grainy B-movie tonality to your tracks.

[​IMG]

Vinyl-based three-oscillator synth with switchable 1960s or 1910s-vintage waveforms and 35 preset patches

Adjustable needle-down and background crackle sounds for 78rpm authenticity

Recall the flavour of the Birotron, Optigan and other pre-Mellotron replay instruments

Source waves include Choral, Baroque, Orchestral, Symphonic, Erratic, Simple and Elegiac, for rich and involving starting points

Glitch control! Glitch control!

[​IMG]
    Platter
    excels at horror movie soundtracks, distant threats, antique punting trips on sepia-tinted rivers, and any moment when you need a smear of vaseline on your sonic lens. Audio demos are up on the website and best of all, there's our standard introductory offer: buy Platter now and get it for 20% less(£12.80 instead of £16).

• Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

I realize that this post is probably R.R.'s promotional verbiage, but it's important to note that the Birotron and Optigan are not "pre-Mellotron" instruments:
    Mellotron (Mk. I) was released in 1963.
    Optigan was released in 1971.
    Birotron was released in 1976.
    The Chamberlin (introduced in 1956) was the precursor to/prototype for/plagiarized source of the Mellotron.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

This is not a synthesizer.

5. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i guess it depends on your definition of a synthesizer. here are a couple definition i found online:

An electronic instrument, often played with a keyboard, that combines simple waveforms to produce more complex sounds, such as those of various other instruments.

an electrophonic instrument, usually operated by means of a keyboard and pedals, in which sounds are produced by voltage-controlled oscillators, filters, and amplifiers, with an envelope generator module that controls attack, decay, sustain, and release

now this thing is clearly combining waveforms (samples - up to three different ones) to produce more complex sounds. and the picture of the gui does show the presence of adsr envelopes and a filter.

the website has a more involved description of this product which includes the following text:

"The core premise is quite a simple one: we took a variety of synth waveforms, but with a hefty bias towards the string-synth end of the spectrum, and had them pressed to custom dubplates by our local vinyl workshop. We deliberately didn’t go down the standard route of saw, sine, square for this one; instead, there are a couple of “synth staples” but also a batch of more orchestrally-themed sounds taken from old string synths and other more complex instruments. So instead of choosing “Pulse” or “Saw”, you’ve got things like “Symphonic”, “Baroque”, “Choral” and “Elegiac”."
    so, it seems that in many respects this does meet some definitions of a synthesizer. but maybe not yours.

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It seems to me it even doesn't fit your definition for what they describe is far from "simple waveforms".

7. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

lol. well, first off it isn't my definition. i just picked up a couple of definitions from online dictionaries. secondly you must have missed where i said "in many respects". third - having read and respected many of your posts on this forum i am puzzled to see you take such an agressive hard-line stance on such an insignificant issue.