Rhodes MK8

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by surely, Nov 2, 2021.

1. surely

surely Kapellmeister

Hi Audio friends,

Rhodes have announced an upcoming release the new MK8:

https://musictech.com/news/gear/rhodes-mk8-full-spec-pre-order-effects-analogue-preamp/

I have a question about this - hoping someone with some more expertise can help me.

I am very excited to purchase this as my first real keyboard instrument (up until now all of my piano/keyboard experience has been on midi controllers).

After looking around the internet it seems most rhodes keyboards are very expensive second hand.
    Is the price of this new product likely to increase over time like the predecessors?

I feel as though I can justify spending on this when it releases if I know the product will hold value - meaning I can potentially sell it on in a few years.

Would love some insight from somebody who is more well-versed in real life keyboard instruments.

Thanks guys <3

3. Adam Fietz

Adam Fietz Noisemaker

Around 10.000$:wtf:

4. Never. Ever. Buy an instrument with the intention of selling it. If that thought even crosses your mind you are buying it for the wrong reason.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

nice instrument, well made, in 50 years it might have a higher value.....
    an instrument is a love story....

6. surely

surely Kapellmeister

Really though?

Who is to justify the "right reason" for purchasing a product other than the customer themselves? A few of my music friends have hefty collections of synths/hardware that by their own admission just collect dust.

It seems after a certain period, the initial novelty of an instrument can ware off, and it can be used less and less as time goes on.

I sort of understand the point you are trying to make, but in real life, sweeping statements that start with "never ever" aren't particularly helpful when each situation is often nuanced.

Keep in mind these things are rumoured to be starting at $10K, so I think understanding how much value these keyboards are likely to hold is a very worthwhile endeavour.

In 5 years time it is extremely likely I won't be filled with the same level of excitement and passion I once held for the product.

In fact thinking of it now I can't think of a single purchase I've ever made that I retain the same excitement and enthusiasm for 5 years later, music related or non music related.

7. Real life example? My early serial Minimoog. I've never considered it as something that I would sell when the profit margin is at its peak. I paid around $500 in 1980 and it could fetch over $15,000 now. I've never viewed it as an investment. And for what it's worth, it's still exciting to play.
    If you want to buy with a view to recouping your costs, I'd recommend a Ferrari 250 GTO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List