REX files

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by lysergyk, Aug 23, 2011.

1. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

Hi,
    is there any way to batch convert wave files to REX files???? cuz it seems impossible!!
    I can understand that loop points and all that wont be set but I have a lot of wave files
    I'd like to import in octorex (reason5)
    problem is this piece of "crap" doesn't read wave files....so I have to convert all my loops...
    which wouldn't be a prob if I didn't have to do only one at a time in recycle!
    understand by this that patience.dll is missing!

thanks for your input!

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

yh i would also like to know ... 'cos rex files are smaller and the loops points are also set - and live can read it.
    any chance to find something like a converter?!

4. giobenoni

giobenoni Newbie

Even though i produce with Reason, I don't like Rex files alot. I don't like OctoRex neither.

That's why I love Reason 6, you can add an audiotrack, import the loop on score and stretch it on-fly and put direct effects on. When you plan to use or purchase Rsn6, I wouldn't bother converting these files to rex anymore, unless you want to split the loops in order to be able to use a specific sample from the loop, to use in a kong channel for example. The only thing what Rsn 6 lacks is the damn vst support, and rewiring is a childsolution, because you can't master properly and it's eating all your resources. The only acceptable thing would be using Rsn as rewire master instead of slave, but it doesn't support it.

But to get back to your question,the reason why you can't batch wav 2 rex files is that you have to apply too many parameters like this sensitivity slider and stuff. It also doesn't detect your loop tempo automatically.

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Yeah.. not possible.

Rex files act dodgy in Live anyway.

6. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yeah this I know but I was hoping a soft somewhere would do the job even though it might not be perfect...like you group all the loops that you know are at the same tempo and just set that parameter, press convert and there is it...job done! I dont know why nobody has come up with something like that already as it would save loads of time!

but also to add a few info to what you say, there are several advantages to REX files...the first one being their size, then as you said the ability to use only a "slice" of the loop, and also it has now become some sort of industry standard and all the major applications / daw read rex files so theirs no reason to use wav most of the time.

7. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

they work fine is sonar ...and ofc in reason!

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I _do_ like REX files, since they hold bpm and slice info and they're losslessly compressed not unlike FLAC files. Also, *if* an application supports REX, you can be sure it *will* load any REX, unlike some exotic wav or aiff files.
    As the Propellerheads say, "Recycle" is the only software capable of creating REX files, so first, you absolutely _need_ Recycle.
    Second, using a macro recorder like e.g. "AutoHotkey", you can, with a tiny bit of programming knowledge, automate the process of converting a list of WAV files to RX2.
    (AutoHotkey will control all keyboard and mouse actions necessary to convert all files, even set a default slice detect sensitivity if you want)

I use AutoHotkey for many other tasks and I find it extremely helpful although you'll have to spend some time with it to get where you want.
    It also supports remapping your keyboard and creating keyboard macros (typing a longer sequence of keys, just by hitting a keyboard shortcut)

www.autohotkey.com

9. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

have you tried to do it? or you just assume it is possible?

at any rate, thx for the info

10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

> have you tried to do it? or you just assume it is possible?
    I've done this with other software, and since Recycle can be controlled by keyboard and mouse, Autohotkey will do just the same.

Haven't seen the need tho, since I preview my ogg/mp3 loops first and only when I need it, I fire up Recycle (using an AHK script, by the way, which first converts to WAV then opens with Recycle.

Check it out, it's free and yes, it's possible *yes*

11. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Long time ago I convert a lot of WAVs files into REXs with Recycle, but is a lot of work and spend of time....
    To make it more fast and easy, every file u has to do the same... u can use a MACRO RECORDER. I use "Jitbit Macro Recorder" works fine.
    But remember... every file u open in Recycle.

0. open recycle with a wav
    1. Set Slice Left Locator
    2. adjust SENS for detect transients/beats (every file have diferent sens...)
    3. change BAR + Beats or sign(4/4) for adjust BPM (every file have diferent ...)
    4. Add or Remove SLICES use zoom to make it perfect. (every file have diferent ...)
    5. Mod. Attack Decay Stretch (i use every file the same)
    6. Exit -> Save file.

repeat all steps.

With jitbit macro recorder u can make automatic macros and stop the macro automatically to make adjustments, after hit a key and continue the macro.

I repeat, this is more work and repetitive, think if it's worth.

12. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

to Fiction: thank you very much for writing that script you send me :bow: :wink:
    and I reckon you should post it here as I'm sure it would help lots of other people.

the script itself isn't buggy and works pretty well, it has converted a lot of files much quicker than I would ever have!

but as you said once it has started DO NOT touch anything, cuz otherwise it will probably crash or interact with your computer in a rather unpredictable way!!
    I did meet a few errors (not too sure what caused them ...simply named "internal error") but very very few
    and the script didn't stop whatsoever, it just closed the "corrupt" file, relaunched recycle and off it went
    chewing his way through the other files left to convert! again, thank you so very much for your time and help! *yes*

I have one question though,

how does it find the wave files to convert? I has found some banks I had in a folder without my doing anything...so does it look up the last used folder (as recycle remembers it)?

13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Good to hear! :wink:
    I prefer not to post it though until it's a bit more stable and potentially "less harmful"
    Or should I rather offer it to propellerheads.se? ;-)

> how does it find the wave files to convert?
    Easy, just place the .ahk script where all your wave/aif(f) files are.
    The script will then search this folder *and all folders below that folder* for any wav and aif files, process them and store rex versions in the same location as the original file, so your directory structure does not get lost.

It doesn't matter what folder Recycle remembers since the script will give it an absolute path which should always work.

More feedback is welcome *yes*

14. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Definitely "one to watch" this script of Yours Fiction.

It sounds SWEEEEET indeed.

I will keep an eye out for either an AudioSex or Props release in the near future.

God Bless those with the "know how"! :hug:

15. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

ok thanks for the explanation =)
    so if I get it right, it means that if I copy the script in a folder with no subfolder when all the files contained in that particular folder have been converted, the script should stop...right?

I dont see any problem with your script so long as you do not interfere while it's at work..what do you mean by "less harmful"?

I think you should post it and just mention a version number so we can keep track with any update/enhancement you may come up with, it is already quite useful as is.

cheers for your great work! :break:

16. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

> so if I get it right, it means that if I copy the script in a folder with no subfolder when all the files contained in that particular folder have been converted, the script should stop...right?
    Exactly.

> ... what do you mean by "less harmful"?
    I just referred to the (small) problems you had using it. Also, I was lazy enough to skip most "safety" checks like language settings, Recycle toolbars, opened windows and the like.

> I think you should post it and just mention a version number so we can keep track with any update/enhancement you may come up with, it is already quite useful as is.
    OK, I'll do some polishing and you'll hear from me again :wink:

17. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

i'm looking forward to it :wink:

18. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

A new version of ReCycle is in beta -- perhaps this will bring better/advanced functionality when working with REX

Code:
    http://www.propellerheads.se/

19. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

does it differentiate between Acid Wavs and Non Acid.. I wouldnt want it converting my Acidized wavs. :dunno:

20. trancefer

trancefer Newbie

There is an online wav2rex converter available at www.myreason.de.ms if you are interested in. The converter just output rx2 files. Give it a try but don't expect a perfect result.

21. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

thanks for the info, but 2 questions

I may be a bit blind...where do we get it? your link is just to a bunch of converted files...

what do you mean by "dont expect perfect results?" it's suppose to just convert a file to a different format...is it altering the original wave file??...in which case it wouldnt be very useful