[REVIEW] Spitfire BML - Low Brass

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by Andrew, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spitfire Audio - BML Low Brass

Prologue
    Low brass represents the last piece of BML Range, if we don't count freshly released Mural.

Introduction
    Not many libraries are built like this one. Here Spitfire focuses only on low end like in Albion Iceni, but remains truthful to the individual sampling. Low Brass comprises of Contrabass Trombone, Solo Tuba, Solo Cimbasso and Cimbassi Duo.
    From these, only Tuba is recorded in true legato.

Layout & Specs

[​IMG]
    Fig. 1 - OK, the GUI is still the same, but notice that the colours always match up
    Same GUI, always same GUI, or perhaps nearly identical.
    The Tuba has the most articulations of them all, legato, stopped notes, rips, falls and shorts and all patches except for Cimbassi a2 feature fp hall trigger, which however is somewhat broken, see Aux Video.

[​IMG]
    Fig. 2 - Release for shorts & hall trigger

As with the horns, speed slider does something, but the nature of the legato performance on such brass instruments does not need such functionality, the result of slow legato may sound a bit more relaxed though, but don't expect portamento or glissando. :wink:
    All four instruments can play unison, which needs some mic tweaking, but as a result, it might bring tighter, vibrant and rich bass in your orchestral compositions.

[​IMG]
    Fig. 3 - Speed slider for hire
    Don't know why there's speed slider for Cimbasso Solo, that patch does not have legato. :rofl:

I like the deep and genuine sound of Low Brass, you can use it for everything.
    Long tense sul pont? Make it to move with Tuba staccati.
    Huge climax? Tighten up the bass to make rich finale.
    Love theme? Make Tuba play octaves with Horns.
    Need a vibrant bass line? Cimbassi Duo is there for you. :wink:

Problems & Recommendations
    Needless to say, these patches are somewhat buggy, hall trigger is the biggest obstacle.
    However the crossfading problem present with horns is not that apparent here.
    • fp hall trigger triggers the loudest release at all times, therefore rapid movements from anything other than ff sounds unnatural
    • Cimbasso Solo shows 4x Round robin for longs, but there are just two
    • Neighbour zone borrowing does not work in CB Trombone and Cimbasso Solo
    • Not a bug, more like easter egg, in CB Trombone, short stopped articulation is named "Short CS", this part of the script was most likely taken from Spitfire string patches
    • Turn off CC1 mapped vel. for longs, otherwise the vel. attacks won't be triggered.
    • Some presets still break the UI's functionality to load and unload articulations

Auxiliary & Demonstrational Video

Conclusion
    Low Brass closes the BML range in "Das irdische Leben" style, going down and low. Spitfire lets you just again explore the low end of an orchestra, with three main instruments and one duo. The instruments were meticulously sampled, though only Tuba has legato.
    What else can you expect from Spitfire than great sound and genuine sonic characteristics. All instruments comes with many articulations, even Stopped one. Low brass is always useful in nearly every setting and every musical piece.
    There are few bugs aboard this lib, so be wary when purchasing, but it's not that 'bad' as with Horns, but the fp hall trigger should stay off for now.
    Otherwise I'd recommend this little lib, just don't forget about the 'highs', piccoli, glockenspiel, and harp while wandering through this low brassy lands.

That's it for Spitfire for now, next up is samplesCine libraries :dancing:

Reviewer's rating:
    8 out of 10 stars
    [​IMG]

3. oxidius

oxidius Newbie

I love your reviews, straight to the point an unbiased. :wink:

Can't wait for the whole BML line-up to be released (and orchestraltool's one too).

4. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Thanks Drew,

I'm still waiting for some audio samples (imma keep bothering you about it :bleh:) at least to you tell me to stop :wink:

Ps> You did excellent with those harps though :bow:

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Hi Intro,
    audio samples will be available in the video, I've explained everything in the previous post here

6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

OK, video is up! :drummer:

7. Revenant

Revenant Member

The video is private and can only be viewed if you have the uplaoder's permission. You gotta check the settings and make it public.

8. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

That's weird, I'm sure that I made it unlisted. It should work now. :thumbsup:

9. Revenant

Revenant Member

Yes, now it plays flawlessly.

10. Tonk

Tonk Member

Hi Andrew,

seems that you have won a real fan of your reviews.

Now I have some questions and remarks :

a) I can watch the video via Youtube, but in you Channel "EVAndrewTutorials" I cannot find any other videos. But I know you have made other videos since 3 days. What could be the problem?

b) the videos are totally welcome and a complete enrichment of the reviews. A lot of hard meticulous work. Thank you very much. *yes*

c) you found some "bugs" in the library because you are painstakingly testing every little function of the library. This is really a great help for every user of the library.

d) is there any other library out that serves the orchestral low-end , too ?

Thank you again for your reply and hard work.

11. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

tonk,
    a) the uploaded videos are published as "unlisted", for now, that means they're not publicly available, but once you have the link, you can play them, I plan to make all public once
    Videos are now public, hope I won't regret it :rofl:
    b) You're welcome :thumbsup:
    c) This is one of the reasons I do those revs, other reviewers don't mention such drawbacks
    d) Spitfire Albion III - Iceni, Berlin Woodwinds EXP A has Contrabassoon and Bass Clarinet, and even Albion II has some low-endish instruments, like Euphonium, Sackbuts and some percussion *yes*

12. Tonk

Tonk Member

Thank you for the reply and your work.
    Much appreciated.

13. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

OK, next review is coming tomorrow, this week was pretty busy, so my apologise for the delay :bow:

14. Tonk

Tonk Member

You do not need to apologize.
    We are glad to profit from your reviews and you should have all the time of the world to do another one.

:mates: