[REVIEW] Orchestral Tools - Berlin Woodwinds EXP B

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by Andrew, May 9, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Orchestral Tools - Berlin Woodwinds Expansion B

Prologue
    I decided to review this one separately from the rest, as apart from similar GUI, those libs have nothing in common. Berlin Woodwinds EXP B was released as addition to existing BWW library, adding solo instruments to already exciting Teldex woodwind band. Sadly, no Bass Flute or Oboe di Amore was included.

Introduction
    EXP B features 5 instruments sampled separately - Alto Flute, Flute, Oboe, English Horn and Clarinet.
    There are no 'sustains' in real sense, only cresc. and decresc. triggered by velocity and tied together with true legato.
    This adds yet another level of realism and makes one wonder, why they didn't do it on their previous libs, because the outcome is plain awesome, finally you have flowing performance at your fingertips.

Layout & Specs

OK, let's break it down. Each instrument naturally comes with variety of articulations. The list is not quite complete, but the legatos make up for it.
    • Changing notes - single trill, either whole or half note
    • Legato - legato performance
    • Marcato - accented long
    • Portato - accented short
    • Staccato - punctuated short
    • Sustain - an easy one to guess
    • Trills - looped HT and WT
    [​IMG]
    Fig. 1 - EXP B Oboe Legato patch

EXP B does not come with Multis, you have to use empty shells in regular BWW.
    So you guessed it, yet again single patch with all articulations is missing, which means that you have to open Kontakt for each and every instrument with its articulations. That's a no big hassle for me, but it's easily imaginable that it's annoying to some users.

Some instruments feature two legato types - slurred and re-tongued. Those two types are similar to string legatos - slurred and bow-change, the latter being less connected.

There's "Mic Pos" button on the main gui, suggesting another sample set, but in this case, it's only different IR.

So if all that's to be found are cresc. and decresc. samples, then what does the modwheel do?
    Simple answer - low pass filtering filtering (flexible AHDSR envelope)

"Sustain" samples are recorded with performance legato, which cannot be adjusted, or turned off. However this vibrato is no wild stuff, and greatly helps with the instrument sonority

Sound
    Sonic quality of this little fella is simply breathtaking, and there's more. It blends perfectly well with Spitfire libs, much as most other Orchestral Tools products.
    In one case, I couldn't resist and played with it on a bus, my foul mood was instantly dissolved.

Problems & Recommendations
    No problems for this one, just be aware that the samples are not looped.
    Use empty Multi shells from BWW to simplify articulation switching.

Original Product Video
    An official introduction to this wonderful library

Conclusion
    As much as I doubt BWW will ever be useful, this expansion pack made me think otherwise. Uniquely recorded, it preserves the natural flow of a musical performance. Also quite light on resources, this one is not only a keeper for me, but also a winner of annual 2013 price for Best Library. Congratulations OTT!!

Reviewer's rating:
    2013 Andrew's Choice Award :rofl: :wink:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading!

3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Just in time for the weekend, can't wait until I have a moment. Andrew does it again, thanks just isn't enough my friend.[​IMG]

4. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

5. Millenium

Millenium Producer

I totally agree with you transporter1333 *yes*