Review of BT Phobos by Spitfire Audio

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by Don Bodin, May 14, 2017.

1. Don Bodin

Don Bodin Rock Star

The next Godfather of Synthesis?
    Sample Library Review Editor Brian Brylow and I teamed up for a review of Spitfire Audio's BT Phobos, the new synthesis technology that unleashes nearly endless tonal and rhythmic combinations with a single finger.
    Full written review, demos and more: http://bit.ly/2rcEytG

BT Phobos is available from Spitfire Audio: http://bit.ly/_Phobos

3. ia

ia Producer

man, this isn't new method for sound synthesis/design. Old as Convolution reverbs AFAIK Nebula using same method for processing. so basically it's just convolution reverb loading bunch of samples (what are IRs) for precision of tweaking every knob
    The first man who told me this great method/idea was Diego Stocco
    Look at his awesome tutorials

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

BT is the man. I remember seeing him at a rave/festival in central florida. I think it was 1996 (way before he blew up) His set was right after Afrika Bambaataa'ss on the indoor stage. He came on stage with his acoustic guitar started strumming big open chords while he sampled them live. Then chopped them up into an electro breakbeat symphony. He did it all with his sampler and hardware. This was way before the heyday of Ableton and such. His breaks and remixes were the shiz. He was also the one who helped develop Stutter Edit for iZotope.
    From a kid strumming an acoustic guitar at an underground rave to scoring major motion pictures and developing for the big software companies. This is the stuff our dreams are made of.

This looks interesting to me. Thanks for the heads up/vid/review. I will check it out

5. ia

ia Producer

And remember guys NEW technologies appearing not in commercial products but in a white papers primarily

6. ia

ia Producer

I guess this is one of his method for producing, so he jusk asked Izotope to implement it in the plugin

7. ia

ia Producer

All this guys beside pop culture are interesting, look at Celldwelller, SeamlessR, Jeremy Soule. They doing interesting sounds and using interesting methods

8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

This was BT almost 20 years ago. Sounds like it was made yesterday. Good artists are always way ahead of their time

Way before he was scoring AAA video games and Need for Speed movies. He was better known for his trance, but I always though his breaks were better IMO

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  9. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first product from Spitfire that works without Kontakt, ie that isn't a sample library.
    A synth of this size reminds me of Omnisphere.