Reverse Engineered: Prodigy - Smack My Bitch UP

Discussion in 'Education' started by Trevor Gordon, May 7, 2016.

1. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

charming

2. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

Ya. I have to say, that was one of their worst albums. Liam decided to put all his hardware in storage and replace it with Reason and it just didn't pan out to be a very good album. The song "Girls" was probably the only song I really liked on that one.

The one big draw back to Reason is it's isolation from VST's. It operates much like Apple does, where you are basically at their mercy and can only go through their services and products (as you can tell, I don't like Apple and their products). I used Reason for many years and I liked it, but once I moved onto Ableton I never looked back. A much better DAW....I figure it is up there now as the industry standard for DAWS.

I suppose if you really want that analogue hardware feel, Reason is perfect, but it's restricted in that regard, unless you rewire it with another Daw. Still a good DAW non the less, just didn't open as many doors as Ableton.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  3. Trevor Gordon

Man...it's been forever since I've heard Amon Tobin! Cool stuff!

4. Trevor Gordon

Man, now you got me going back to Squarepusher and one of my all time favorite albums. This guy still blows me away today with his albums from the mid 90's. Genius composer!

5. Trevor Gordon

Once Zeps drummer was gone, that was it! All of those guys worked PERFECT together. They all were OPTIMAL at what they did and having one fall off from the group like that dismantled them fast. Robert Plant came out with those pretty boring solo albums. Jimmy Page paired up with Puff Daddy, and that was it!

They did reunite and play during the late 90's. I missed that...by that time I was heavy into electronic music.

6. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

@T-double-U

yeah i agree that album wasn't the best, but my point was he still made a very good record using by today's standards a very limited bit of software.
    that demonstrates some talent in my opinion (i was attempting back up your original post!)

7. Trevor Gordon

For sure. I'm impressed he came up with that on Reason. Since, for years he did a lot of hardware programming or a mix of both software and hardware, to do a fully fledged album on just Reason must have been difficult. That was a more limited Reason as well, when it was still fairly new. He took a big risk in my opinion! I think he should have stuck with Cubase! heheh

8. Trevor Gordon

This picture is very fitting for your signature, Foster! :wink:

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Hm, When I used to DJ, my set would consist of all original tracks that I composed with samples and vstI's as well as some real recorded instruments. I would make a "performance" mix of my tracks and leave out certain parts of each song, like a bass line in one part, a lead in another, some percs in a different part. Then I would play the part live on my axiom, while I dj'ed my own original tracks on my numark controller. I even used some real congas and my 5 string ibanez bass in some parts live.
    According to this quote, I should have just spontaneously combusted right on the spot because I was altering the Mobius Space Time Continuum and was actually multi-dimensional to be a dj, a producer, a musician, a performer, and a composer all at the same time in space. BOOM! This is not possible!

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Ahahaha I see. Perhaps there is a grain of truth in what you say... Just look at the most popular acts today, and the fact that there are simpletons abound becomes very clear. However, I'd take Prodigy over them any day. They actually make interesting music... might not be the most complex or the most "beautiful" in the conventional sense, but it's another interesting flavour. I wouldn't exactly call it simple.

11. Trevor Gordon

It's all about being an artist! Fuck all the other terms of producer, composer, musician, blah blah! JUST BE AN ARTIST!

Like my buddy says in this track I produced! "At the core we are artists! That's what it's all about!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Except for the posers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Trevor Gordon

Simple is what most people want to hear and simple is not that simple to come up with! The Beatles songs were pretty "simple" but it wasn't the songs and their simpleton compositions, it was the IDEA! They came up with an idea that nobody else have really emulated to this day! That's what made The Beatles so good!That's what it's all about. Sometimes what sounds simple, doesn't mean it was simple to make!If it were, you'd hear a ton of bands like The Beatles! (and yes..there was the monkeys and all the rest, but they still couldn't compare) If you don't have the imagination to come up with the idea you don't have much going for ya! It all starts with the idea! From there on, it doesn't matter if it's complex or simple, it just matters if your idea can create a good tune! And that's what Liam was able to do!

What I find to be truly simple is the generic, non original garbage we hear on mainstream now. I think the only radio station I can bare is the alternative, since some of the tracks really have a unique sound to them. I am finding myself going back to old retro 80's songs. Mostly the abstract/alternative ones. Friend of mine introduced me to The Smiths and I gotta tell you, really good band! The singer is amazing. Can't believe I didn't know about these guys.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

When I first started producing I had a habit of using too much technique and theory. Every chord was an inversion, a lot of 7ths and 9ths. Always a resolve on the 4th measure, relative key for the interlude, etc. I was classically trained on piano and learned jazz theory on the bass. But, I was making dance music after all, florida breaks. After auditioning it to my friends that were non-musicians, I realized that it was way too busy for the genre and most people too. I had to teach myself to dumb it down and make my tracks more simple so it would be more danceable and listenable. This is a problem that many competent musicians face. We tend to make music for musicians until we learn to simplify it for the masses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

If you like Morrissey check out some Elliott Smith

16. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Here is it - how to get a little girl to sleep with the help of "reverse engineered" Prodigy. (Trying to improve my German and Martina Hill never makes it boring.. :) )

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Trevor Gordon

Wow...that was scary. I would never look at my mom the same way after that!

18. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Seems she enjoys these kind of lullabies and if it works, it works.. the mommy just thinks “out of the box”. All the qualities that we should care about! :rofl:

BTW tnx for the 1st vid. Really interesting :wink:

19. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Here's what I mean. This was from 2004 before I learned to dumb it down

20. Trevor Gordon

I see what you mean. When I started out, I really didn't know how to tell the story. I had like 3 different tracks in one because I didn't want to stick to one sound. One thing I'm keeping in mind now when I make a track, is GROOVE. I want it to have that groove so it's good to dance to.