Reverb with midi controlled tail?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by nmkeraj, Apr 10, 2024.

1. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Hi. Is there such a reverb/delay effect with a MIDI controlled tail? I need the tail to stay in tune with a melody, to be playable.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

The easy answer is to resample it. Set the tail as a slice, assign it to a note, and retrigger it. So something like Serato Sample would make it easy. You'd just have to keymap it like any sample you want to play.

You would think that Unfiltered Audio Tails would do this, but I do not think it will the way you want: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_tails.html

If any reverb and delay are going to have these sorts of effects functions, I would look at the Arturia Rev Intensity, because it can do a freeze; or their Delay Eternity plugin. Both of those plugins are made for unnatural style effects.

4. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Yes, I resampled the track and split it and tuned the snippets. Is it elegant :)?
    That might be the idea: to place a vocoder after a reverb, with the carrier of original tail, and the modulator the same(?). But then the signal would modulate themselves… maybe. It might depend on a build of a vocoder…

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

the part you have me a little stumped with is making the tail playable via midi. most more general purpose effects will have midi learn available but not always re-triggering. you could take the tail and use it as a wavetable maybe. I would be looking at using the Arturia fx. You can also Freeze using EFX Fragments from them, but it is a granular effect so it will have side-effects of that. You can sequence events in it under the advanced tab. But it still does not check the playable box...

6. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

I don’t need re-triggering in this case. I want the tait fading out in time with changed pitch. But now we have two possibilities with re-triggering and not triggering.

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

But if you already have the melody, why don't you use a pitch correction plugin and draw in your 'corrections' on the reverb track/import the 'correct' notes from your MIDI into your pitch correction plugin?

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

There's at least this tiny little DAW which offers the option to control almost every parameter of every plugin by various kinds of controllers, among them, various MIDI signals, it's called Reaper. So, if you belong to the lucky ones, :winker: that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Ableton guy here…:snuffy: I can use automation and transpose an audio clip, too. Or sample the tail in a sampler and play it without triggering a new envelope if it is possible.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  10. clone

clone Audiosexual

Can you either explain further or show an example? I have v6.7 if that matters. The audio plugin needs to accept incoming Midi Note On messages and a value for pitch.

@nmkeraj The effect you are trying to create would be comparable with a transform scratch, right? the sample playing first and being pulled back to repeat at various pitches using the rest of the transformer noise. This is why I think you need to freeze the tail and retrigger. Could this be done with Bluecats Patchwork?

11. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Copy your reverb. Use one for early reflections and one for late reflections. Put a pitch correction plugin before (or after) your late reflections reverb. Done.

12. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Adaptiverb has some features you might like.

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Nobody's perfect. :winker:

Seems I haven't understood the problem. I thought you want to adjust the decay time but you want to modulate the pitch of the reverb tail??? Do you have an example for this effect?

14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Explain in detail what you want to do. It's pretty vague at the moment.

15. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

You might also try something like Zynaptiq's Morph, Melda MMorph or any kind of vocoder to "play" the reverb tail.

16. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

I think they just want the longer tails to follow the fundamental of their song or whatnot... A problem that never hindered Pink Floyd or Sigur Ros, but I can imagine a possible application...

I personally would just bounce it and pitch shift it on the audio and call it a day, unless it was something I was doing with everything all the time, and I'd imagine if I was, I'd probably have other unforeseen problems.

But I can see that with something like Valhalla's Shimmer etc and the way it works and wanting to keep things on the same page...

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

It is, because when described as playable I think retriggering the tail without the initial attack. If you want to lengthen the sample duration prior to the actual decay; that is either sustain, hold parameters you could possibly use a transient shaper, or something like Tails. Or just a simple crossfade loop. I think I would try the granular freeze just because it would most likely be the most unnatural sounding of available options. If it doesn't need to retrigger, a simple pitchbend may work.

18. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Lengthen the decay time via automation is easy in Reaper. I put it completely in a spoiler because, strictly spoken, it's off-topic here.
    Click on the parameter in the plugin,
    click on Param in the plugin window at the top right,
    select controller
    [​IMG]

Click on Param again
    [​IMG]

Select Parameter modualation/MIDI link and you can adjust the modulation
    [​IMG]

Works
    [​IMG]

19. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

20. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Exactly. I don't want to touch the time but the pitch to follow to a bass line and complete the chords. The decay time is already done in the effect, 2 bars.

21. clone

clone Audiosexual

Does Ableton have something like Flex Pitch in Logic? Like Melodyne without a plugin.