Reverb tail gets distorted

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by lonewolf000, Nov 7, 2013.

1. lonewolf000

lonewolf000 Newbie

I've encountered a strange problem while workin' on a project. when i inserted a reverb plugin, the voxengo old school verb on a snare, the tail gets distorted inside reaper. but i once used it inside another daw and the tail's fine. I tried using the reaverbate and the tail's fine also. any ideas? Thanks in advance.

3. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

So you used the same reverb unit ( voxengo old school verb) in different daws?? In that case I dont know.
    But sometimes a reverb alghorythm simply gets it wrong with some sound. You can check if it is working correctly if you dial very short tail, or very long. Now if you get boingy artifacts, kinda like spring reverb, than you will have to try another unit for that particular sound. But of course, if you used the same unit in different daws than this is not the problem

4. 0on3

0on3 Guest

Dear 'Nightmares'

Try this ; Assign the reverb to its own independent track.
    (Almost like running a midi-ch. and a wav trk ch, to record a VSTi synth.)
    BUT ... the BiG difference is ; you can assign the reverb to a channel, & send
    it 'back' to the trk your recording your wave / and or midi file too !!

This werx in the same way as running EFX to an AUX ; but the difference and BIG
    benefit is , you get to have a channel to 'tweak up' the EQ'ing , ect ; for the Reverb!!

Its called 'Fold Back' . And its an old technic I used for a 1000 years in the 'ol analog
    world on Mixer/desk live shows & recording to tape. And I just brought the same approach ,
    and dragged it into the 'virtual' DAW way of recording. And it sure make for MORE control
    over each EFX you add , and yer 'Tails' shouldnt have any deterioration to them AT ALL !!
    Again ; you could simply call this : ('sidechaining a trk , to another trk !!!)

Hope this helps some .... it is 'tricky' to learn and get used too ; but , once you do ....
    ohhhhh booouuuy !!! You'll be having Huge fun! Especially using it for other recording ideaz
    THEN JUST A REVERB !!!!

p3ACE!
    - 0:1 -

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Try setting your project settings (SR & BD set to 44k/64bit) by pressing alt-enter and forcing them.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Lol at junh1024. It's 44.1kHz (or higher) and 32-bit float (but 24bit will suffice).

OP: I've never encountered this. Try re-installing, or check your gain stages (levels ok and that it's not distorting pre reverb, etc), or try in another DAW, or..idk.

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Look if you have any, gate, or limiter on the audio path. Some time a gate or a limiter when it is exactly in its open/close point give an impression of distortion by opening and closing very quickly.
    It seems the sound have a grain (like distorted sound) but it is because the sound is in and out several times per second.

8. 0on3

0on3 Guest

'Olymoon' ....

h3LL y3AHz , EXCELLENT trouble-shooting answer , well impressed !!

9. lonewolf000

lonewolf000 Newbie

I haven't checked this post for days. Sorry for late reply and thanks for all your advice. to o0n3. cool. I never heard of that trick before. i'll definitely try it. :mates:

anyway, there's no limiter or gate on the audio path. my audio settings' already set at 44.1KHz. I think it's a bug on voxengo old school verb. I tried other plugs and got no problem. I'm using valhalla room now.

:bow:

10. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

also Crysonic SpectraHD (do not know the real name of this limiter) kills it.
    Just for those who don't know - this Crysonic's Limiter kills quiet sounds, like 12-bit quantizer or something like that. Real digital destroyer. Don't use this sh*t! NEVER!