reverb in master channel??

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by deftmonk, Nov 25, 2014.

1. deftmonk

deftmonk Newbie

I see lots of posts of people complaining of ozone 6's lack of reverb and I am so confused on this matter...does anyone use reverb on a mastering session? I feel that if I need to add reverb because the mix is just that "dry" I should most likely just send it back to the client or recommend he hire me to mix his project. As for sure in such a case there will be even worse problems (complete lack of headroom or just a downright shoddy mix). Thoughts?

3. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Reverb on the master channel is generally frowned up. I do use it very subtly most of the time at around 3%-4% wet(and 100% dry) on the master channel, it does help to glue things together nicely.
    This is very subtle though, I always use inserts or sends for the actual reverb of the track (the one that most people will hear), the 3-4% on the master channel is just a little finishing touch for me.

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Watch this, it's only 7 minutes long: http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/16682122/file.html

Later edit: If you can't watch it, download it on your computer.

5. fuad

fuad Producer

Well if you've done your mixing properly you really don't need a "mastering reverb"

I was actually quite surprised when i first started using Ozone and I heard about mastering reverb. It can easily be overdone and abused in my opinion and it actually makes sense that they removed it. If you really want to use reverb to glue elements of your tracks together then it should be used as a send/return. Then apply a little bit of the same reverb in different amounts to each individual instrument.

6. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

One of the only uses I could see would be "mastering" a 2 track that was recorded live from a mixer, if it was all a bunch of close mics you might want to add in the reverb to give a sense of space and the venue

7. freeldr77

freeldr77 Newbie

I think it could be used as an album-mastering tool, to get a subtle effect of the same "room" in e.g. 12 tracks. One reverb to bind them all ;)

8. kidvibes

kidvibes Noisemaker

Don't use it...or put just 1-2%