Retirement at 45, death at 50.Welcome to Norilsk.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Von_Steyr, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thought this might be interesting for some.I was really fascinated, reading about it.This city reminds me of some sci fi space colony.
    Gathered info is from across the internet.

Located in Siberia, Norilsk is the world's northernmost city with a population of more than 100,000, and it's not just one of the coldest cities of the world—it's also one of the filthiest. Nickel ore smelting has transformed the landscape into one of the ten most polluted places on Earth.

Isolated, polluted and – above all – cold, it is a city built on misery and blood.
    It is also a city of surprising wealth – the reason for its unlikely existence. Norilsk, squatting 250 miles north of the Arctic Circle, has the largest deposits of nickel, copper and palladium on earth and its hellish mines are thriving.

Gulag prisoners began expanding the Siberian settlement in 1935 and over the next 20 years, 500,000 slaves took part in its construction . Thousands lost their lives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Due to its location, Norilsk might appear even more isolated than other arctic cities, without ground connections with the rest of the world. The air is the only way to reach it, together with seaway and river boats when the navigation is possible.
    For two months of the year, the city is plunged into polar night, where 24 hours a day are in darkness and in the summer they have 24 hours of light

[​IMG]

The work conditions for miners are hard. The compensation for the risks is represented by the long duration of official holidays, 90 days, and the early retirement at 45 years old

In the winter, children are allowed for a walk outside only under certain conditions. Sometimes children have to spend several months indoors. Many buildings have been gradually abandoned

[​IMG]

A coat of snow covers the city during eight to nine months a year and snowdrifts can reach three metres in height

[​IMG]

The pollution caused by the mining and factories brings Norilsk in the top-10 list of the world most polluted cities

[​IMG]

Every year, more than 2 million tons of gas (mainly dioxide sulfur, but also nitrogen oxides, carbon and phenols) are expelled into the atmosphere

[​IMG]

This huge pollution has a strong influence on the people’s health. Life expectancy is 10 years less than in other regions of Russia, the risk of cancer is two time higher and respiratory diseases are widespread
    [​IMG]

The city-factory has only one reason to exist: maintaining the biggest metallurgical and mines complex in the world. This complex brings in 2% of GDP of Russia

[​IMG]

The “isolation” of Norilsk makes the city fold in on itself: the social and cultural activities are reduced and are often lead by personal initiative

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some large closed spaces are designed for the children, so that they can enjoy outdoor activities like cycling, running... even during the winter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Due to the adverse weather conditions, people spend most of their time in enclosed spaces at their work, individual apartments or local sport, cultural and shopping centres

[​IMG]

Mentally, it is hard to manage the winter condition. It is even more difficult to break the daily rhythm “home-work-home”. The extreme winter conditions almost forbid any outdoor activities, so that the major part of the daily life occurs in confined spaces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 24
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  3. Regz

Regz Producer

Reflections of greed!

4. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

Nina Kraviz is from one of those Siberian cities. Nobody's held prisoner there anymore. A lot of anti-Russian propaganda, primarily by the UK, likes to portray Russia as if it's still the USSR from 100 years ago.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Slider

Slider Producer

Looks like hell on earth!

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

So sad. Despite the dreary look of the place I would still want to visit. I can't imagine living there though.

[​IMG]

This picture makes me want to make some Half-Life reference but the term half life seems too "on the nose".
    This earth looks so pretty from far away.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  7. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

This is SOOOOOOOOO fascinating man!!!

Thank you soooo much for posting this!!! I'm in SEVERE awe over lives of different humans... something I have not thought of until my mid 30's. shit is unbelieavble.

No doubt... Russia is NOT at all the USSR anymore... in fact the U.S. (which is supposed to be the "leader" in "democracy," "freedom" and "free press" and is now fucked due to the globalist-banking-super-elite shadow govt. that ran/runs bushes, clintons, obama, etc.) is now worse than Russia... meanwhile, Putin DOES NOT want a WWIII, AND RT is killing it!! Yeah, compared to our pathetic, douche bag liberal biased-as-fuck "journalists," they have no reason not to stand proud in north east Asia.

P.S. I see some sexy chicks in that-there club... :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

People living so secluded from the rest of the world in extreme elements.Cant even imagine what it does to your psyche.

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Propaganda or not, fact is its a brutal environment.Would also like to visit Norilsk one day.

10. Aliens

Aliens Guest

I doubt even a Combine occupation could make life much worse, poor sods.
    But fear not, Vladimir Freeman will save you, just as soon as he's stopped counting his money and wiping his dick over the gullible.

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Lets not go back to X is better than Y, lets not makes this another "my dick is bigger than yours" kind of threads.:wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Aliens

Aliens Guest

No, you're right, and I agree, even though this time I do believe your dick really is much bigger :lmao:

13. It might seem pretty horrendous now by judging from the photographs, from unchecked fumes poisoning the inhabitants to the almost otherworldly existence of the self imposed captivity that those choosing this lifestyle must endure, but it must have been exponentially worse, a literal frozen hell on Earth to be sent as a virtual slave into the gruesome purgatory that the gulag system once was. It was less a lifestyle choice and more a death sentence or worse if you were hardy enough to survive the punishment for many a year. The next time we fire up our interfaces, talk on our mobile phones or watch the pretty little colors on our monitors as we create our next masterpiece, let's remember that those three metals, nickle, copper and palladium are being forcibly ripped out of the very ground at this black city, Norilsk, so that we can have our good times. You know I've had my share.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    @Von_Steyr Two questions man.
    1. Is there a documentary about this city or you found the info as is written? I'd like to learn more about it.
    2. Where the hell did you found that city?

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

There are some documentaries on youtube.My brother told me about it.
    You can also travel there, but you need a special invitation.Even the FSB checks your background.

16. mail22

mail22 Ultrasonic

Siberian cities are different. I live in Siberia, (FAR, veery far from Norilsk) my father's group from Ukraine gave more than 100 concerst over the USSR, settled here in 1970, married. There are bad and good people and cities everywhere. People in Russia are precious, not that you see on TV. The main problem is that many russians understand english and love your culture and music, but almost all western people knows nothing about russians. Only what TV showing. And posts like this.
    Peace!

17. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    ?????? Like visiting a secret nuclear facility? Anyway i'll check the docs. I don't want them to check my docs :wink:

18. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Damn...Looks like a Stephen King Novel

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thats not entirely true.
    Last month i posted a heart touching documentary "One day in the life of Ivan Drago".

20. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

question is : do they use cracked plugins ?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  21. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Brother, they're the ones that crack the plugins.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List