Retaining levels when increasing FX dry/wet balance

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Mirrorgrain, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Mirrorgrain

Mirrorgrain Newbie

Hi everyone, my first post here, looks like the place to be. I hope I'll be able to offer as much advice as I seek! I use Reason and write techno/tech house stuff. My influences are mainly German labels like Traum and others that release a melodic dreamy minimal sound.

So I've got this issue that's long overdue: is there a way to keep the level of a signal constant while increasing fx? We all know how select sounds in pro recordings always stay at a constant level when a delay is increased before a break or in some such place. I use Reason. Now, the second part of this question also concerns the release settings. Apart from the dry/wet fx balance issue, I've got a Malstrom producing hi-hat sounds, and as I increase the release during the aforementioned transitions, it also gets drastically louder. Same issue. I think the first issue could be handled with a dry/wet split compressor/limiter setup, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it. Perhaps a level could be automated to go down during fx or release increase, but that sounds too cumbersome, don't you think? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Dan

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

good question, been curious bout that myself :dunno:

4. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yes but this is done using automation...for a "live" performance you'd have to do it yourself ....

otherwise how about using a bus ...you keep you track pre fader and send it to a 100% wet bus, also you put these two tracks in a group so that when you control one the other is affected accordingly...that would solve your wet / dry volume prob.

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

There is a few ways, for me the best way is to Key a Compressor or just simple Compression techniques tho i prefer to Key my FX.

6. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Hi,

-Manual or Automation for volumen channel / bus
    -Manual or Automation for dedicated FX
    -Compressor / Limiter (sometimes can used with sidechan)

No more things :thumbsup:

7. cyberluk

cyberluk Newbie

It could be hard in Reason, but in FL I sometimes use some FX for some part in the mix and I want to mute/unmute them in automation or with midi controller. I use FL Studio's new plugin called Patcher, where I build the chain of effects I want and if some FX doesn't have WET/DRY or GAIN knob, I can put some compressor or limiter and adjust it's gain knob. Here's a screenshot what it looks like: http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/html/plugins/Patcher.htm ...I sometimes sample out Reason's sounds and mix them in FL.

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Automation (and compression if neccessary). It's not rocket surgery.

9. Mirrorgrain

Mirrorgrain Newbie

Thank you all. Obviously I know of a few things to do, I was only wondering whether there is quicker more correct way.

Well, the effect I'm automating is a Master Mix Send effect, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'group', unless both are in a Combi. Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks. What do you mean by "key" a compressor? You mean assign a key command to activate it?

Cheers all!

10. Mirrorgrain

Mirrorgrain Newbie

Oh right, by "Key" you simply meant "sidechain". Well, if you mean sidechain the compressor to the Delay Send effect..hmm...that one is in a combi of its own, gonna have to give some serious wiring a shot. If you got the technique, do share, cheers!