Restore Mac from Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Rocko, May 10, 2018.

1. Rocko

Rocko Newbie

Greetings Audio Lovers,

im about to fully restore my Mac from a Time Machine Back Up, im a little worried that my k'd Vst and Plug Ins won't work after that (e.g. Omnisphere). Im on macOS Sierra 10.13.4 and everything is running smooth, is it a problem to do so or is here anyone with experience doing this.

3. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

I've downgraded ( not upgraded ) from Sierra to mavericks after I've tried to see how Sierra would work for me, and I didn't like how the upgrade made me lose some plugs I like to use, and I got everything back to "normal"

So, I guess backing up your system with time machine won't affect your K'd plugs

4. SaltySeaMajorVII

SaltySeaMajorVII Member

I just did the same thing (restoring from Time Machine). It was super painless and there weren't any system hiccups I noticed. If your VSTs were working fine when you made the backup, they will work fine once restored from the same backup.

5. Rocko

Rocko Newbie

sounds good guys, thx

6. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

First of all, you're on High Sierra (Sierra only goes up to 10.12.6). Second, so long as you're restoring to the same machine, you should be fine (although I'm aware there's a whole new HD protocol with High Sierra that may or may not change things). The worst I've ever had to do from a TM restore is re-input a few serial numbers, but I've never had to re-install anything or go through any lengthy re-k procedures. I've had a few issues when installing a new hard drive or using a TM backup to migrate to a new machine, but it's a lot less painful than having to reinstall everything from scratch.