Replicate compression level of a file.

Discussion in 'Software' started by solipsistuser, Jul 2, 2024 at 10:45 PM.

1. solipsistuser

solipsistuser Newbie

I wish to replace some of the installers in Plugin Alliance Mega Bundle by R2R with the updated installers that dropped after the mega bundle and get a similar level of compression. (~9Gb to ~1.9Gb)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Talula

Talula Rock Star

max compression?

• List
  4. solipsistuser

solipsistuser Newbie

I'm not sure if it's that simple, but I haven't tried it yet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Maybe it was you asking, but there was some thread about almost this identical subject recently. But I'd like to know why you were trying to achieve this so specifically, and at which point probably wouldn't help you. I can't think of many reasons other than you are trying to make the archive size match exactly, so you can update files in the rar archive and have it pass some kind of size/hash checking type of thing. Which is obviously to obscure the fact the original release had been tampered with.

But what I think you are really asking for, is because you have modified the files by adding something to them. Some kind of credentials stealer, remote access tool (RAT/trojan horse), or some form of other code injected/merged into the executable. But some dastardly little auto-merge binder you are using is not of your own creation, and you cannot control the fact it is bloating the individual .exe files to where it is noticeable differences, even to a casual user. "Why are my uploads with this malware always inflated to 107meg?".

I am not running Windows, so I am fine with being deliberately vague about this. Here is some reading you can do below. But I very much question the reason you want modified archive sizes to more closely match is really for any positive purposes.

https://www.infosecinstitute.com/re...re-researchers-handbook-demystifying-pe-file/

https://upx.github.io

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 9:13 AM
  6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

OMG. Such accusations :rofl:
    The OP said a "SIMILAR level of compression".

Many people have asked how it is that R2R sets their compression, and recently has gone to 7zip,etc.
    I repack R2R archives all the time, usually modifying them to suit my preference, and would never think of making them available to others, except in a special case of helping fix problems, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

You could easily google that. Yeah, I am accusing someone of wanting to learn about a subject matter. Seriously? Is that an accusation of what, possibly nefarious intentions? That is Hanlon's Razor.

Hanlon's razor is a saying that reads: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." In simpler words: some bad things happen not because of people having bad intentions, but because they did not think it through properly.

8. solipsistuser

solipsistuser Newbie

I said similar, not same. The reason is to keep the files organized without taking several times the space.

9. solipsistuser

solipsistuser Newbie

But this time it was an ~9Gb iso file compressed into ~1.9Gb 7z.

10. Talula

Talula Rock Star

and?... ISO - is just a disk image file, without compression. if files from iso can be compressed from 9 gb to 2 gb - it means that iso with files can be compressed with same coompression level.

11. Talula

Talula Rock Star

12. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

REALL?!
    So you think that the OP was doing the following:
    "But what I think you are really asking for, is because you have modified the files by adding something to them. Some kind of credentials stealer, remote access tool (RAT/trojan horse), or some form of other code injected/merged into the executable."

Yet you say he is likely not doing it due to bad intentions, but because he did not think it through ?
    Really? Planting a trojan virus by accident?

Look, if you overreacted, just say so. Don't double-down on mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. solipsistuser

solipsistuser Newbie

In your opinion why did they put it in an iso instead of a folder?

• List
  14. Talula

Talula Rock Star

because 1 iso file unpacking / copying few times faster than 50 and more files.
    also user can't lost some files in any case if all of them stored as one file - iso.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List