Replacing Presonus soundcard and acoustic treatment?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Highdom, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Hi boys I need to replace my soundcard AudioBox VS22 by Presonus but the choice isn't so easy ahah!

I make Electro/Progressive House and i work with logic pro 9 and X, so on Mac. I have KRK Rokit 6 (hey man! it sounds strange ahah).

I'd like to spend around around 350 dollars if possible, and i'd like to get something more than AudioBox's that i have now, because I'm working on my room to treat the acoustic very good!

Any ideas? Thanks AudioSex!

3. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

Treat your room before bothering buying a new interface.

you make electronic music, you're only using the interface to connect the speakers.

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I agree with this. I waited way too long before I treated my room and had so many really crappy mixes because of it. Sounded good in my room, but no bottom or sizzle once I got it in to the car. All because of my poorly treated room

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@subGENRE wondering about the room treatment.. did you follow any particular guide?

I can FGI ( google it ) but I'm being lazy so I'll ask you what you did 1st :bleh:

6. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Herr Durr I got foam on 3 walls, front wall (behind my desk) and the 2 sides.
    DIY diffusers on the ceiling and back wall.
    Foam corner traps in the front corners and along where the ceiling and front wall meet.
    Little less than 400USD altogether. On Aurelex foam, wooden dowels/rods, screws and glue.
    Depends on the size of your room too. I got about 70% coverage I would say, not floor to ceiling.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  7. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Diffuser3_zpsbb688471.jpg Something like this but mine are raw and not sealed

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Google it you lazy bastard!

Jk. But honestly I did pretty minimal research before treating my room and nobody has ever accused me of having crappy mixes. I think a lot of the detail that goes into treating a room abides the 80/20 rule.

Here's what I did: First cover as many corners as possible, including intersections between the walls and ceiling if you can manage. Then cover the walls to the sides of your listening position, and if you have extra panels later cover front & back as well. Then make an invisible line through the monitors' direction (again front and back). And if you have extra predict where they would reflect to (like a pool ball) and then cover that space as well. And something I never did but should have: if you're gonna be recording something live, it can't hurt to cover some space on the ceiling, especially above where you'll be recording.

Also, instead of paying a milion dollars per panel, go to a warehouse for heating/air conditioning supplies and get Owens Corning 703 or 705. I almost bought like a 12 pack online for something stupid like $130 plus $25 shipping. Then I discovered a local warehouse and got 16 panels for $95

9. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@subGENRE I really had never seen that "peg" treatment... very cool looking.. this time I'm glad I was lazy enough to ask 1st.
    those dowels came pre-cut like that? I had only seen the wedged type material up to now...
    cool diffusers you can DIY, I had only seen the boxy looking things... hideous, but it's all for the sake of the sound..
    As you might imagine my studio room has 0 treatment anyway so it's pretty pointless for me to mix much at all
    except in the cans

nice one @Cav Emp that's what I was hoping for.. a straightforward breakdown... clear, concise and to the point, props !

I have seen some do it yourselfer stuff on yt about this... but now I got the broseph insider tips too... :wink:

welcome to @Highdom hmm is that High as in 6" stilettos ?
    or as in floating on puffy clouds of fragrant green ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016
  10. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

btw - I didn't want to buy bass traps bc... screw that. So I got some acoustical cotton off Amazon - granted, more expensive than what I proposed with OC703. BUT in my case just four panels of 2" thick stacked two high in the most important corners. I set them up like.. think of the corner as a right triangle with the acoustic cotton as the hypotenuse. Never had problems with boominess. In fact, sometimes I feel like there's too little bass, but that's probably just my 5" monoitors

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Just glue a baby sofa to the wall, who cares, as long as you dont put baby in the corner.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Cav Emp you have a pic of it? having a hard time visualizing ...

you mean just cut 8 2" thick squares? and stick them up in the corners?
    or cut 4 in 1/2 so the hypotenuse is the outside edge.... ?

13. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

See attached. They're 48x24 panels, so if I stack them two-high they go right up to the ceiling. I post them across the corner, leaving a triangle-shaped empty space behind the panel. This is also good, as conventional knowledge says that space between the treatment and the walls also helps to capture reflections, so I have my other panels about an inch or two off the wall

Attached Files:

14. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

very nice ... and tidy I might add.. when are you going pro producer? :wink:

it's just standing up in the corner like that.. so no need to affix it to the corner as well? we homeowners have to think about the cosmetics and hassles of poking holes in our walls ..

that window panel looks bungee'd in .. do you use any diffusers?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016
  15. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

My guess is he's in a typical small bedroom setup. Diffusion in small rooms is a waste of time and money. Broadband traps at least 4" covering as much surface area as possible is about the best you can do. Also, super chunks in every corner filled with pink fluffy - which has a higher gas flow resistivity - is better in corners than Owens Corning 703-704. Pink fluffy absorbs more low end than ridged fiberglass. Chunks need to be at least 24" deep... Look up Ethan Winer or Glenn Kuras on Gearslutz if you need AES numbers, coefficients and real world test results. Nice guys, they live for acoustics.

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

As soon as possible

Well I did hammer little nails into the walls everywhere there's a panel, then hung the panels from them. The corner ones on the other hand, I actually nailed into the wall since they needed to be a bit more stable. So there is that to consider, but if you need to you can always just spackle and repaint. They're small holes. The panels are very light, not any heavier than a picture frame (of course depending on what you use to frame them) so you can use the same sort of nails to hang them.

And no, no diffusers. Like moogerfooger said. The room is too small for them to even be worthwhile