repairing disk error

Discussion in 'PC' started by funkman, Jul 27, 2022.

1. funkman

funkman Member

thanks again for the replies,i would go the SSD route,but the pc isnt upgradable to windows 11 so dont think i should,although never say never.
    those hard drive test tools,will they run even though windows not booting?

2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I don't think so.
    But you can test the disk if you have another computer or ask a friend to do it for you.

I would not use the HDD as a system disk anymore, even if there are only a few errors on it so far, because the system disk is the most heavily loaded disk in the system (thousands of files are constantly changed, deleted and rewritten, which means a high physical demand).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  3. funkman

funkman Member

sounds like reinstalling windows easier route see how that goes first

4. PersonneAudioZ

PersonneAudioZ Kapellmeister

White Bonnet -White Bonnet, it goes back to what I said earlier...

If the disc is doubtful it must be repaired and in this case say goodbye to the old system and after repair obliged to reinstall the system, otherwise if it contains errors (due to false positives etc) and if it is good you are forced to erase everything (format the HDD) and reinstall the system ...

Opt for peace and rest... Redo your system and drop the tinkering and the waste of time... Without that you will never be at peace...

Note: Once in my life as a computer electronics technician, I had the opportunity to use "HDD Regenerator" it gave me satisfactory results... Since then, I have no longer needed his services at this day .

My motto is to eradicate doubts (when it comes to accumulated problems of course) I mean reinstall everything...
    My clients (lawyers, notaries, architects, accountants and others who have sensitive data to recover, protect and keep) never complain about my services...

It's OK :bow:

5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

sounds advice resistant.
    But it's your time mate :mates:

6. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

But reinstalling Windows on a NEW disk IF the old one is dead
    That's the point ppl here don"t understand ...

Because if there is a trouble with softwares installed ... you are back to square one, even on a new disk
    And if you install back on the same dead HDD ... you are back to square one too

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. funkman

funkman Member

its not that im reistant,im not confident at carrying out some of the advice
    for instance,the hhd test programs,wont work unless windows is booting.
    the checkdisk or scannow with drive letters,im going to try in morning,but i dont think will work,as i dont think they will be allowed to run
    ill see how i go in morning

8. PersonneAudioZ

PersonneAudioZ Kapellmeister

And eventually you'll end up reinstalling the system and everything else ... :yes:

The time you wasted talking would have served you to start doing it ... :bash:

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

The biggest concern is any important files on that HDD. I would get those saved someplace else.
    If you can afford a new SSD, i would do it. Upgrade to Win11 shouldn't matter in that decision. The benefit would be speedier system, and ability to more easily test / repair the HDD.

10. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Of course, that would be very unprofessional to just nail everything back to the computer in one go.

On the other hand, it is sensible to first install software from secure sources and to make a backup after every important step.

But thats the problem with all these my-computer-is-dead-and-all-my-work-is-in-danger threads: Nobody seems to make backups (frequently).
    When you have a valid backup strategy plus separation of programs and data there is never a "falling back to square one".
    And that strategy must be followed from sqare one. :)

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

None of this addresses the simple matter that Cubase installation is what precipitated this failure.

You can use Hiren's, but it's better to use a linux OS on a usb flash drive. Run Gparted, delete every partition on the physical drive, rebuild the partitions empty of any data. Reinstall your stuff. As long as you have an OS you can install and not some recovery disc; or this will not work for you either.

What about UnetBootin even to create your bootable flash drive....very easy to do: https://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/. Select a linux to download and away you go.

This is some pretty easy stuff. Luckily. I seem to remember doing a lot of this when I was still using Cubase. I'd develop some sort of reinstallation of windows plan again; like setting up the Windows partition very small sized (reasonably). That way each time you have to wipe this machine it takes less time to format that partition only, again. Using Recovery Media which is supplied by the OEM almost always has a ton of stuff to avoid installing and bloat. It's like it's only taken about 7 versions for you all to forget what Cubase is really like inside. :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  12. yodadl

yodadl Member

Well, it seems you don't know how chkdsk works. If some errors are repaired, there is no need to reinstall anything, the current system will of course still be usable, assuming there are not massive errors on the disk.
    PifPafPif is right: first thing is to check the disk. This is a (very simple and fast) prerequisite to anything else.

FYI, when installing a new system, Windows installer will begin by silently checking the disk to ensure it is reliable for a new install, so it will occur whether you want it or not.
    A simple check takes a few minutes at most, if the check is OK, software recently installed might be faulty.
    In five minutes or so, it is possible to know what happen. Reinstall the OS at this time is, again, a wrong approach.

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

So will it do this try, or the first time when he reformatted before posting the thread?

14. funkman

funkman Member

morning folks,im ready to do check disk,but im willing to put the house on it that it wont run.
    ill keep you informed.
    im just clarifying beforehand,so noone can say i done it wrong
    remember, in my command prompt X is going to be where C would normally be if doing command prompt.
    do i start a new line and type chkdsk C: /F ?
    what should i type before chkdsk?
    windows is def. on C drive in my case

15. funkman

funkman Member

X: \Sources> is whats on command prompt

16. droplet

droplet Rock Star

@clone you can run reaper in winpe.

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Enter Command Prompt or cmd.exe in the taskbar search and start it by right-clicking "As Administrator" or by holding down Ctrl + Shift.
    chkdsk C: /f
    (Replace the letter C: with your own drive letter, which should be analyzed and repaired)

Attached Files:

18. funkman

funkman Member

taskbar? if only!
    im running in recovery mode from usb
    along top of cmd. interface it says Administrator:X:\windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe
    and then in the box its X: \Sources> followed by flashing cursor

19. yodadl

yodadl Member

Just type chkdsk C: /F
    Don't be afraid, it is a simple check and it won't harm anything, unless your disk is already dead.

20. funkman

funkman Member

windows has scanned the file system and found no problems